Engine Oil Light Flashing

lluna_polanco

Jul 9, 2018
Hello Guys,

As the title states my engine oil have started flashing, the oil level is high and there seems to be oil going to the top of the engine.

A little background, about to weeks ago the water intake of the engine broke and lost all the water, where I was at that moment I was unable to stop and let the car cool off, so the engine got really really hot, but it did not overheated according to the engine temp prob, however it was hot.

The car went to the shop to have that fixed and after 10 miles or so the engine oil light started flashing just as it shows in the crappy video that I took a minute ago so I can upload it here.

Any pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I thought the oil light was oil pressure not oil level (although from what I gather some Seats have both). Blocked oil pickup?

Reactions: lluna_polanco

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea thats the oil pressure light, if that comes on then the engine is already ******.

Hopefully it's just an issue with the sensor or wiring.

Reactions: lluna_polanco

lluna_polanco

Jul 9, 2018
I thought the oil light was oil pressure not oil level (although from what I gather some Seats have both). Blocked oil pickup?

I hope is blocked oil pickup, im taking the oil pan out tomorrow and check everything, regardless the engine is due for an oil change.

Yea thats the oil pressure light, if that comes on then the engine is already ******.

Hopefully it's just an issue with the sensor or wiring.

I believe the engine is alright, there is no sound whatsoever and no weird shake and there is oil in the engine head (Can actually be seen splattering around.) But tomorrow will be the determining factor if there's metal shavings in the oil pan or not.

Thats something else that I could check, oil sensor and wiring

Something that I found weird is that after idling a bit there was some oil in the floor which would lead me to believe that either the RTV or the pan gasket failed. as the only place I was able to see oil was on the oil pan itself.

lluna_polanco

Jul 9, 2018
So, pulled the oil pan out today.

Oil had no metal shavings :coolthumb
Oil filter was loose and thats were the oil was spilling:wtf:
The Oil Pickup was clean.

Needs to go to the electrician on Monday to have the oil pressure sensor swapped, if changing this makes no difference, then the car is going to the shop again, because then it might be the oil pump lifting pressure but not enough.

Best thing is that the engine is healthy (At least block head and pistons), so I'm good

lluna_polanco

Jul 9, 2018
Ok, finnally found the culprit, oil preasure sensor was slightly loose and with no gasket or or ring.. Found it because of a massive oil puddle when parked the car

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lluna_polanco

Jul 9, 2018
Soooo, gasket maker didn't work, so tomorrow im off to buy a oil preasure sensor from my local VAG parts dealer

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that oil pressure switch leaking and so failing is a very common issue with VW Group cars, now that you have mentioned it!

lluna_polanco

Jul 9, 2018
I think that oil pressure switch leaking and so failing is a very common issue with VW Group cars, now that you have mentioned it!
Indeed it scared the **** out of me.

Well, ive swapped the sensor today and all is good now, the take from this is, is the oil pressure light ks going off, check if you have oil pressure in the head if so, then swap you oil presure sensor and be done, if you do no have oil pressure in the head of the engine take it to a shop and dont drive

lluna_polanco

Jul 9, 2018
The point was to have them swap the engine.... At least in my country is cheaper to fix the head/block or swap them than getting a new car

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members