ElWaltoGringo

Redneck in England
Hey guys and gals, my poor Leon has been sitting for a week, and has got my local mechanic stumped.
Last week, after the engine warmed up, I had a red oil light flash with 5 beeps. I pulled over, checked the oil, and everything seemed fine. I got it home, and even though there were no lights at the time, I hooked up my VAG code reader (Amazon special) and pulled the following code:
26 Jun 18: 012555 Low Pressure Fuel regulation, fuel pressure outside specification. Short circuit to another valve.
It didn't seem related to the oil, and the car was running fine, so I cleared the code and drove it to work the next day.
The next day the oil light came on again when the engine was warmed up (5 beeps and 5 red flashes). The car started running rough just before I reached work (sounded like an old diesel). I was coaxing it to my parking lot, when the car died. I started it and it ran much smoother, it just seemed a tad rough. After I parked, I read the codes again:
27 Jun 18: 012555 Low pressure fuel regulation, fuel pressure outside specification, short circuit to another valve.
27 Jun 18: 000017 Bank 1: camshaft A (intake), retard set point not reached (over-advanced) sporadic.
27 Jun 18: 000010 Camshaft positioner (bank 1 intake), slow response.
I took it to the garage by my work, and the guy said it could be the sensor on the camshaft positioner. Nothing major, I should be able to gently drive it home so I could have my local mechanic take a look at it.
On the way home (still Day 2) the car started running really rough. I can't remember if the oil light came on again, but there were definitely no check engine lights. It went into limp mode (under 2000 rpm), and eventually it ran so badly, and kept stalling out, that I had to park it and call AA. While I was waiting, I pulled 2 more codes:
27 Jun 18: 000665 Boost pressure regulation, control range not reached.
27 Jun 18: 008851 Fuel pressure regulator valve (N276), mechanical malfunction.
I guess sitting for an hour helped, because when the AA guy came, the car started, a bit rough, but able to do limp mode. AA followed me home in case it stalled again, and when we got home, he read 2 more codes:
System : Engine control - VM9 / Motronic MED 9 Status :p310B - Fuel low-pressure regulation. Error Message : Fuel pressure outside tolerance. Error sporadic. Status :p0299 - Boost pressure control. Error Message : Below control limit. Error static.
My local mechanic looked at it over the next few days, and was unable to pull any more fault codes.
- He checked the timing belt, and said everything is spot on.
- He checked the cylinder compression and found they were all equal at 70 psi. (Anyone know what they should be?)
- Everything on the engine looks as it should: no loose hoses, wires, etc.
My mechanic thinks it could be an internal mechanical issue with the turbo (such as a stuck blade), or an oil pump failure which could have damaged the turbo or the inner workings of the engine.
He's got it booked in for a diagnosis at the SEAT dealer (Lord help us), and then he'll use their findings to target his work.

Does anyone have any ideas on items my mechanic could check before he takes it to SEAT?

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
have you checked fuel pump/filter for a start as might be starving engine -possible problem with supply,
doubt if stuck blade on turbo ,would hear it ….oil pump ….maybe but would bring up oil light every time and engine light
cam sensor is a good possible,another is a short circuit as would cause ecu to limp or stop all together....start with cheapest fix of sensor then
check fuel supply/filters/ pump ,then pray it works ,it will turn out to be so simple in end....all fun owning a car....lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.