Engine struggles to start in hot weather

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Hi all,

I've had this problem a few times now and it only happens in the weather. The engine will crank over as if to fire up but it fails to start, it will do this a few times and eventually fires up into idle, I did a service on it in March. Having searched online for possible causes it seems like it could be the fuel gets evaporated too quick by the high heat of the engine and environment so causes a vapor lock in the fuel line, has anyone else had this problem? I may put some heat shield material around it and hopefully that helps.

Reactions: dm222

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Which engine is fitted in your car, I'm guessing a 1.4 16V 86PS ?

Edit:- checking up on your profile page I see that you have/had a 2009 1.4 16V 86PS, so if you still have that car, then it could be that your EVAP solenoid is causing this issue.

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Any progress on this problem?

Not yet, I have looked online for this N80 valve and found a few but I also now have a noise coming from the rear of the car in the last week or so which changes note when different electric loads (rear heated windscreen and when the fan engages for the A/C) are switched on so it sounded like pump of some sort. The only pump I'm aware of in the rear of the car is the fuel pump.. Bingo, lifted up the rear seats and the rubber lid over the pump and there's the noise so now the fuel pump sounds like it's on its way out

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Not yet, I have looked online for this N80 valve and found a few but I also now have a noise coming from the rear of the car in the last week or so which changes note when different electric loads (rear heated windscreen and when the fan engages for the A/C) are switched on so it sounded like pump of some sort. The only pump I'm aware of in the rear of the car is the fuel pump.. Bingo, lifted up the rear seats and the rubber lid over the pump and there's the noise so now the fuel pump sounds like it's on its way out

OEM:
6Q0 906 517

After Market:
Bosch 0 280 142 345

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
These high(ish) pressure fuel pumps do not run quietly, maybe in the higher air temperatures they make more noise.
Hmm, it's running louder than it has done in the last 18 months or so that I've had it and we've had hot weather in that time. I plan to sell the Ibiza anyway, so I'm going to order a new one for peace of mind along with the N80 valve.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah, pity you didn't buy it a few days earlier, bank holiday deals ran on until at least Wednesday or Thursday, on a brake disc and pad purchase I paid £53, if I had missed the bank holiday deal, ie waited until the 35% deal, they would have cost me £69!

Edit:- new filter as there will be pump bits in the old one?

Edit:- oh bother now "spring 55" so only £112 for the Bosch one, which what will be on that car from new!

Last edited:

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Ah, pity you didn't buy it a few days earlier, bank holiday deals ran on until at least Wednesday or Thursday, on a brake disc and pad purchase I paid £53, if I had missed the bank holiday deal, ie waited until the 35% deal, they would have cost me £69!

Edit:- new filter as there will be pump bits in the old one?

Edit:- oh bother now "spring 55" so only £112 for the Bosch one, which what will be on that car from new!
Makes you wander if all these deals are there to make them selves look good and to make you feel like you're actually saving some money. Marketing gimmick I think, still, there are some good deals on there sometimes.

It had a new filter recently as I gave it its annual service so should be fine now.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise