Engine Swap info...

TheRandomHero

:think: hi guys im new to this site and seats in general. i just bought a toleda but the engines blown. its a straight diesel, not a turbo diesel. i was woundering would it be a big job to swap the engine for a tdi engine out of a golf/passat etc. what would i need, and how would i go about it.
many thanks. :confused:

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
You'd need more bits from the donor car than just the engine. Not sure on your gearbox, but I think the Tdi has a hydraulic clutch so you'd need to look at the master cylinder/fluid resevoir and pedal cluster from the Tdi. You'd also need the wiring/ECU. Immobiliser and key also. And you'd need intercooler, pipework and all the rest than comes with that. Worth it if the donor car is there to get bits from, but getting a bare engine up and running would end up costing loads I reckon.

All just pure speculation though, I'm sure plenty of people on her can give better advice :)

Engine codes, etc would be essential for a proper analysis though

TheRandomHero

thats a good help thanks. em do i also need to change the drive shafts, hubs/suspension? and what about the wiring loom?
thanks. :)

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
thats a good help thanks. em do i also need to change the drive shafts, hubs/suspension? and what about the wiring loom?
thanks. :)

All engine dependant mate. I know someone who did an SDI to TDI conversion in their Caddy and it took them less than a full day, but that was because of the type of engine he had in.