Engine Swap?

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
Hi all,

Long time no see. For those who don’t remember me, probably the majority, I used to own a Mk4 Cupra 20vT back in 2011 and attended loads of clubstands with SCN over the years of my ownership.

I’ve got the opportunity to take receipt of a 6L 1.4 16V Formula Sport which, over the years, has had many issues with the engine, mainly overheating, head gasket failures, high emissions, problems starting etc. However the car, excluding the engine, is near immaculate and was owned a for a long time by my brother-in-law as is first proper car, so it’d be nice to get it back and get it running again. The only way I see this happening reliably would be an engine change.

My question, is how difficult would it be to swap the engine 1.4 16V to a 20vT and what would be required? I’ve done some research and some forums say it’s a straight swap, while others say I’ll need to mount additional brackets etc.

I’ve worked a lot on cars over the past two years doing a variety of tasks including complete suspension setups, brakes, driveshafts, exhausts etc. but I’ve never changed an engine. I have mechanics that can help and I don’t have a time limit, so I don’t think the task is unreasonable, providing it’s a simple swap and I don’t have to arse about welding extra brackets and the like.

I’ve also spotted a few 20vT engine that are dirt cheap, like the below:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-A3-AUM-Complete-Engine-150bhp-1-8t-20v-1-8-20vt/323158403698?hash=item4b3dbdea72:g:1mQAAOSw-RhaYHgT

Any advice welcomed, and it’s nice to be back :), hopefully I’ll soon be starting a progress thread for the little 1.4.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise