Engine swap

UltraObamaX

Feb 3, 2018
Stafford, UK
Hi,

I require a new engine as my crank shaft has snapped.

My engine code is CEGA.

This might be a stupid question but I don't know a lot about engines.

Would it be possible to do a straight swap to a CBBB engine? As these seem to be cheaper and they are both 170 bhp.

Thanks

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Thats the Golf engine, you're best to stick with a CEGA.

It was used in the Octavia vRS as well as the Leon, look for someone breaking one of those.

UltraObamaX

Feb 3, 2018
Stafford, UK
How did that happened?

My flywheel pretty much disintegrated, the bearing went completely through the clutch, and I'm guessing all that force put too much stress on everything and snapped the crankshaft.

There's score marks on the gearbox from how hot everything got. My clutch slave cylinder has melted. There's a possibility that my turbo has gone as well if it was starved of oil.

Bad times tbh.

UltraObamaX

Feb 3, 2018
Stafford, UK
Why do I even have a CEGA engine? Everywhere I look only show the engine being used on the Octavia and Yeti.I shows it wasn't used in the Leon until 2011, I have a 59.

UltraObamaX

Feb 3, 2018
Stafford, UK
Also does anyone know anything about this?

THERE ARE TWO VARIANTS OF THIS ENGINE.THEY HAVE THE SAME ENGINE CODE BUT ONE RUNS THE INTERNAL THERMOSTAT AND THE OTHER RUNS THE EXTERNAL THERMOSTAT.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
CEGA is the correct engine for your car.

As configured in the Mk2 Leon it uses the external thermostat. As for the internal thermostat, I'm not 100% sure but from looking at the parts drawings I think the internal one is from early (pre-August 2009) Skodas. There's a different part number listed for the engine block before and after the thermostat change too which seems to indicate the two setups are not interchangeable.

(edited to remove incorrect info)

Last edited:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
What guarantee does it come with and what work do they claim to carry out as part of the recondition?

If in doubt pay on Credit card, if it all goes titsup then you've got some security there.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.