EPC And Engine Management light

Shugybhoy

Aug 17, 2016
Hi guys and gals just wondering if anyone has had both these lights on at the same time? With the eml light on the car still drove ok although I know it's not advised to do so. (Had to get it to garage) then the epc light came on whilst driving and cut the power to the car. I'm assuming it's done that to protect and prevent you from revving the arse out it. When that light came on I noticed my start stop wouldn't work and got an error message saying this. Anyone any ideas what's causing it. Cars under warranty just now but that's up next month. Thanks for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedeicide

Feb 19, 2017
Kent
I have the same problem showing the EPC and the engine light,I got the VAGcom out and got this.

1 Fault Found:

001537 - Internal Control Module
P0601 - 001 - Memory Check Sum Error
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 119992 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 13:54:51

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Load: 0.0 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 68.0°C
Temperature: 14.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.081 V

Readiness: 0110 0101

Rosstech came up with this.

16985/P0601/001537 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error
Possible Symptoms

MIL illuminated

Possible Causes

Engine Control Unit (ECU) defective
Flash ROM (used in aftermarket "chips") defective
Low Voltage

Possible Solutions

Replace ECU
Contact aftermarket chiptuner for repair of their chip
Check and test Battery and Charging system

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Noticed my EPC warning light came on yesterday when driving thro city centre (Lots of red traffic light sequences). The car seemed to drive ok with EPC warning light up. (no cut out or loss of power)

Turned the ignition off at a red traffic light and restarted the car. The EPC light came on at startup along with all the usual warning lights and as per a normal start up it went out with the others !

A few weeks ago the engine block warning light came on (Fault in the emission control system). It inexplicably cancelled itself at a diagnostic check at the dealership.

Don't know if initiation of these warning lights are connected. Gremlins?

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
There seems to be many different reasons for the EPC for the warning light to come up and I am not sure that a diagnostic test gives the definitive answer to the problem.

I believe that a diagnostic test gives an indication as to where the problem might be. A diagnostic test might flag up a fault that is expensive to repair yet through time and after much expense the real problem may eventually be discovered.

Research online revealed that VW have had problems with brake system lights or brake peddle switch faults that have lead to EPC warning light coming up.

Just so disappointed that these Emission & engine management warning lights keep coming and going; Especially just as an after the 3 year warranty expires.

First Seat or VW brand car I have had in my 40 plus years of driving and never had these problems before. Maybe cars are becoming too technically complex as they try to reduce fuel consumption & emissions etc.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Can a sticking turbo actuator that causes an EPC warning light, lead to a rich mixture that would also
cause the bank 1 O2 sensor 1 to bring up the Emmision control system faulty warning light [yellow engine block]?

wassup

May 4, 2017
Hey guys my seat Ibiza 2001 1.4 16v is not running good when you drive it a little when it gets up to temperature it shuts off and doesn't want to start again and the epc light comes on and I need to wait for it to cool down before I drive it I need to fix this by tomorrow please help me

Lewisbigbear

Sep 29, 2018
Did you get to the bottom of epc light and the engine man light on with car not starting? Tested the brake light switch. Bought a new one. Got code on computer for control module error but stated no faults found. The engine turns over with no fire or chug as if immobiliser or empty fuel. Was this the same problem as original post?