Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

EPC Warning Light - Is it important?

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4 (2002-2008)' started by RCS2K4, Dec 26, 2007.

1. mixupz

mixupz Just call me Rash-MIX

:lol: nearly happened to me :

2. RichieLee

RichieLee Guest

Just checked my ibiza today, (it's in the garage sorn atm) and suprise suprise! After a dab of the brake pedal there were no red light reflecting back! Guess I was wrong then :( Is it a hard job to sort out? i.e could a local garage do it and then the light automatically goes off or does it have to be reset?

cheers

Rich

3. tdi sport

tdi sport Active Member

it happened mine when my intercooler hose got blown off nothing to bad just detectes strange activity with the components

4. Rob_Scott

Rob_Scott Guest

Hi,

My EPC light came on yesterday, just wondering what part i would need to get and replace to stop the problem?

5. mdixson

mdixson Guest

This same light (EPC) came on for me with the engine check light and although the brake lights worked when I checked last week they now don't... so it can come on before the lights fail... just a warning

6. badgerbadger

badgerbadger Guest

Epc

My Seat has had this fault.
    Loss of 75% power.
    Annoying and dangerous.
    "Very tiresome.
    Regular Throttle body cleaning kept me going.
    Replaced: peddle switch, peddle pedometer & throttle body.

Found the problem was from oil debris entering the throttle body.
    Making the throttle body pivot lose its position.
    I have removed the pipe and problem has gone.
    The offending pipe enters the air filter (left), but bypasses any filtration.
    This still hasn't solved the true problem of why such debris is leaving the engine but it has been the cheapest solution so far.

safe driving
    Captain"
    xxx

7. cocky

cocky Guest

Seat Arosa Automatic EPC Warning Light

I have just had the EPC light come on and at the same time the auto gearbox started changing lumpily, after a while the light went out and the gearbox started behaving normally again.. any clues?

8. lawrieIbizaMk4

lawrieIbizaMk4 Team Boc!

mine came on today, thot it was cos i put l.e.d brake lights in but i guess it's more than that lol

trip to the stealers on saturday woohoo!

9. odd-head

odd-head new to the dub scene

mine has come on today in my toledo v5. got three months warranty so taking it to them tomorrow

10. Jotag

Jotag Guest

how much did seat charge for this to be fixed and also what kinda price is it if you want to do it yourself?

11. mick-fr

mick-fr Mégane F1 R26..

Knowing SEAT, they will probably charge about £300. That works out to be £8-9 for the part, £90 diagnostic check and the rest labour :lol:

Nah, do it yourself. £8-9 for the part, then about 5 mins to fit.
    All you have to do is remove 3/4 screws from the panel above the pedals, remove the panel and old switch, fit the new switch and replace the panel and screws. Easy!

12. ss55eat

ss55eat Active Member

The EPC light will come on with LED bulbs fitted as it upsets the electronics that monitor the brake light switch and it thinks the switch has failed. Put the old bulbs back in and the EPC light should go off.

13. ss55eat

ss55eat Active Member

It's quite an easy job. The switch is about a tenner from Seat or VW and the EPC light will clear on its own. I've had 2 fail in 5 years. VW now supply a new version of the switch which is a bit more reliable. Make sure you get the latest one (green). Lots of the original type (purple/pink colour) are on Ebay etc. but are crap and easy to break when fitting. (Search on here for how to fit the switch - if you're not confident in doing it yourself it should only take a local garage 10 minutes)

14. mick-fr

mick-fr Mégane F1 R26..

Im guessing you never seen the date those posts were from then? :lol:

15. ss55eat

ss55eat Active Member

I just felt that someone should reply as they had been waiting a long time for an answer.

16. TINCAN

TINCAN Full Member

Could the brake light switch be the problem even if the brake lights work?

I ask as my lights stopped working, the EPC light came on so i removed the brake light switch but Seat sent the wrong one so i put the old one back in and the brake lights worked. A mate reset the EPC however its come back on again and has been on for weeks yet the brake lights work fine?

Any ideas?

17. Viking

Viking Insurance co's are crap.

The EPC light could be anything engine related. It most likely isn't the brake switch, although it could be. Ask your kate to read the fault code, not just reset the light.

18. iamluke

iamluke Active Member

Can someone help please? epc and eng management light is on all the time and the car cuts out when /I stop at a junction??

19. iamluke

iamluke Active Member

Sorry its an Ibiza 1.4s