Error: Service Vehicle

Proximity

Apr 9, 2015
Hi all,

I tried searching for this issue in the forums but couldn't find anything. I'm getting the following message at random times in my car:

Error: Service Vehicle. Only leave vehicle in P position

It usually happens when the car is cold and the warning just stays on for about 2 seconds. The first times I wasn't even able to read what the message said, I just heard the alert.

I'm driving a 2015 Leon FR 1.4 DSG.

Do you guys know what the issue might be? Should I take my car to the dealership?

Thank you!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi all,

I tried searching for this issue in the forums but couldn't find anything. I'm getting the following message at random times in my car:

It usually happens when the car is cold and the warning just stays on for about 2 seconds. The first times I wasn't even able to read what the message said, I just heard the alert.

Do you guys know what the issue might be? Should I take my car to the dealership?

Thank you!

Could be a fault with the gearbox or a software glitch or faulty sensor for the dsg
Does seem gearbox related
I take it the car is not due/overdue a service and it's not related to that?

Have you got vcds or similar to check for any fault codes?

If not id say take it in to the dealer and get them to check it out :)

Proximity

Apr 9, 2015
Could be a fault with the gearbox or a software glitch or faulty sensor for the dsg
Does seem gearbox related
I take it the car is not due/overdue a service and it's not related to that?

Have you got vcds or similar to check for any fault codes?

If not id say take it in to the dealer and get them to check it out :)

Thanks! No, actually it just got the 30,000 km service. It actually appeared for the first time just a couple of days after the service.

Unfortunately I don't have VCDS to check for fault codes :( I'll make an appointment and take it to the dealership.

Thank you!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Thanks! No, actually it just got the 30,000 km service. It actually appeared for the first time just a couple of days after the service.

Unfortunately I don't have VCDS to check for fault codes :( I'll make an appointment and take it to the dealership.

Thank you!

No problem, hope you get to the bottom of what it is.
Post back here if you do, could be handy for people searching with the same issue in the future :)

Just to add, try to get a picture of the error message that comes up so you can show the dealer, they tend to take more notice if you can show them the on screen message, I appreciate that might be difficult as it's only displayed for a couple of seconds, if you do struggle to get a photo, post back and I'll tell you how to bring any warning messages up for longer on the screen

Last edited:

amir.ziv

Mar 6, 2017
I have it on my Leon ST 1.2

have it for 4 months, appear randomly, i was on my dealer they made the 30k service and swipe the car for errors but couldn't found anything so he ask me to take a picture. since it is hard to catch, i hooked up a reverse cam to the dashboard, finally after 3 weeks of driving, i caught it. now they are looking to see what's the problem (car still under warranty).

P.S. it also appear in Golf, i google it and saw that the only way it was resolve was replacing the gear mechatronic.

amir.ziv

Mar 6, 2017
Got a call from the service center, they schedule a service to the car for replacing the shift assembly. i understood from some folks in the Golf forum that this is the instruction from VW, but, at least on one reported case the error resurface after replaceing the shift assembly.

Hea

Sep 26, 2018
Hi all,

Thank you!

I drive a 2017 VW GTI and I am getting the same flashing indicator light. Took my vehicle to dealership and because it could not be reproduced it doesn't happen. I reached out the VW of America and they refuse to do anything. Therefore, I am emailing VW of America everyday the light comes on. My vehicle is still under warranty, but worry that the day my vehicle is no longer in warranty, I will have a rather large repair bill associated with this light. Very angry about it and am talking with and in communication with an attorney. This problem seems to be very common and is probably an expensive fix. It is a problem I believe Volkswagen knows about but does not want to fork out the cash to have it fixed. I say class action lawsuit.
errorlightVW.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.