ESP and boost problem

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Hi all,
My car has developed a fault with boost and traction control.
Yesterday I left the ESP on and put my foot down In 2nd gear (boost was good), the ESP kicked in due to loss of traction like it should, eventually got some grip and got into 3rd where I lost a significant amount of boost. I slowed down and booted it again and still not boosting right, tried turning the traction control off and it still wasnt right. Quickly turned the car on and off then went for a spin and it was fine :S

Later in the night I had a little play again this time I turned the ESP off it was boosting good so thought it was fine. I then tried to turn the ESP back on but the light wouldn't turn off. Turned the car off and on again and it was fine.

Not sure what the problem is as I replaced the MAF sensor with a brand new genuine one. I also had the fault codes read using a generic reader and nothing is stored.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Last edited:

Neil01Cupra

I'm having very similar problem at moment. Just had car mapped last week when I boot it eps light comes on and won't go off until I turn off car then turn on ignition again. Also boost intermittent as in sometimes will only boost to .4 bar and I have to stop and turn off ignition then back on again. Then it will boost to 1.3 bar

Car is LC 180 mapped to 212bhp 260ftlb torque.
I have had a general look at pipe work today and no visible cracks or possible leaks.
Very strange will have to call guy who mapped car next week

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
I dont think its a boost leak it feels to electrical. Like one sec its there then gone and resets by turning the engine off. Then back on. (I know this because I been in it lol).

W11TTX

Apr 23, 2012
Cheshire
Possable n75 fault? Mine did this the other day it when booting it its very very harsh comin off boost. Just done the pcv delete and fit a catch can so I kno it can't be a boost leak! The n75 controls the waste gate and controls the call for boost if I remember correctly .

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
As Matt said I don't believe its a boost leak. I bought the MAF from eurocarparts, the new one is exactly the same as the old so its definitely the correct one. Would a faulty n75 valve have any relevance to the ESP?

Thinking out loud here but would I have to reset the ECU somehow with vag com after I replaced the original faulty MAF?

W11TTX

Apr 23, 2012
Cheshire
I think ESP is normally maff yes unless the ESP just stuck on? The n75 if faulty could offer full boost say 20psi then it not do what it should and offer up 10-11psi if what iv read is correct! Scanning it could help as it may have a stores code and its not come up on the dash yet! Some cars take 3 ignition cycles to being the fault up on the dash I think

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
i have 2 scenerios
1) the ESP isnt stuck on, i can turn it off, but when i do and go for a spirited drive i cannot turn the ESP back on. i have to switch the engine off and back on to achieve this.
2) when i go for a spirited drive with the ESP on it works as it should but sometimes the boost just cuts out. to remedy this i have to turn the car off and on again to regain full boost.

i dont have vag com but a mate of mine has a generic code reader. the other night before i bought a new MAF came up with P0171 running lean.
i cleared it bought a new one and checked again last night and i had no stored codes.

Neil01Cupra

Spoke to the guy today who mapped my car he told me my problem is the airflow meter breaking down at high airflow rates. He suggedted trying a different airfilter. I have a ramair cone filter on at moment might go back to standard air box and see does it make any difference. After that he said buy a new airflow meter, which you have done. Strange will post up if I get to the bottom of it

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
I suppose its possible that the new MAF could be faulty. Might try and get this changed again. If you could keep me posted that would be great :)

Cheers mate

Holdup

Aug 28, 2009
Kent
I'm having a similar issue with my cupra r.

Recently 2 coil packs have died on me and the other day my eml light came back on so I got the code read again and it was the coil pack I had replaced but I had no running issues.

On the way home I left the motorway and sat at the traffic lights pulled away slowly but then when to give it some beans and the car felt so sluggish almost as if it had lost 200 bhp then I realised it wasn't boosting about 1 mile later it started to boost again but didn't feel aggressive as it was had a quick look under the bonnet but couldn't see anything didn't get any lights on the dash either

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Mmm I'm not sure our problems are related, my boost problem is definately linked to the ESP problem 100% I just need to track down what the bloody problem is! Lol

Hope u find out what's wrong with yours tho matey :)

Do you always wheel spin the car? If the ecu finds one wheel spinning faster than the other excessively it keeps the tc light on solid until restarted.

Your loss of boost is the car going into soft limp which could be for any reason. Possibly maf related but could also be boost leaks that only leak enough to trigger limp when hard accelleration occurs.

If your esp system if faulty , I cant help thinking you have fault codes stored.

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
I don't always wheel spin the car, the night in question when I found the fault I suppose I was. I suppose that explains one problem but it doesnt explain my loss of boost. I need to get hold of vag com really.

Problem is eurocarparts said I can't have a refund once I've fitted the part. So I really don't want to go to a dealer and buy another MAF when it might not sort my problem.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Mafs are tricky as they wont always throw a fault until really dead. With vagcom you can log the maf and boost which will hopefully diagnose it.

Does it idle ok? consistant temp reading?

Neil01Cupra

One thing that came to light when i was in the main dealers pricing a NEW MAF part number 06A906461 LX. It was only when parts guy said to me they would need my MAF in part ex that I realised the X in part number relates to exchange = reconditioned MAF being handed back as the new part. I questioned this with parts guy and he confirmed all MAF's are reconditioned but carry same warranty.

My question is how many of those so called NEW MAF's still have the potential to carry a defect which is annoying if you can't return them if they don't solve the problem.

I think my particular issue is MAF related so I am ordering one just really hopes it fixes problem

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members