ESP and boost problem

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
The only ones that seem to be an issue are cheaper ones. I wonder if there tested and if within certain tolerances are resold on to discounted outlets... otherwise the elements are changed and go back out to the official parts outlets? Complete guess but the dealer ones seem more reliable

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Mafs are tricky as they wont always throw a fault until really dead. With vagcom you can log the maf and boost which will hopefully diagnose it.

Does it idle ok? consistant temp reading?

yehh it idles fine, temperature is consistant and normal.
was with my mate who has a LCR about 20 minutes ago, we had a little play and the car drove normal, tried with both ESP on and off and everything was good :S

dont want to jinx it lol because the problem probably hasnt gone away and will pop up another day. i will keep you posted

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
took the car down some dual carriageways put it in 4th at 2500 rpm and planted it, got to 5500 rpm and bam no boost and ESP light illuminates :(

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
mmm i hope it is in a way, its using fuel like no tomorrow.
just annoying that i have already replaced it with a bosche one which are a reputable company. not sure what to do, go down eurocarparts tomorrow and get a replacement or attempt to get my money back and try a dealer

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
just took the car for another blast to show my cousin what its doing and again was boosting fine no problems got into 5th and next to no boost. got to a roundabout turned around 2nd gear foot flat to the floor no boost. eventually got into 3rd and a few seconds later its starts boosting as it should. i had no ESP lights illuminate this time. :S

my cousin mentioned that it could be the wrong spring in my recirc. i have a forge 008.
could anyone shed any light on this?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2012
Slough
If you have say a red spring rated for 12psi and your mapped for 20psi you will only be able to hold what the spring is designed for, 12psi.

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
I see, and as my problem is intermetant it is most probably unlikely.
Thanks for your input though its appreciated :)
I'm sure you can understand this is a really annoying problem. And the fact the car is drinking fuel at the minute its an expensive problem!

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Checked all boost pipes and can't see nothing wrong everything appears tight and as it should be. I'm going to check the vac pipes by the inlet in a while.

As I was checking I did notice the TIP was rather soft and easy to bend, this got me thinking is it possible while under load the TIP "collapses" so the actual boost doesn't add up to what the car is requesting therefore putting the car in limp mode and cutting the boost?

W11TTX

Apr 23, 2012
Cheshire
What tip is it and is your car mapped?? There is a thread or someone mentioned something about the original tip collapsing under boost on mapped cars ?

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
My mods are cobra turbo back exhaust, forge 008, jabbasport remap, jabbasport induction kit and heat shield, 4bar fpr.

I only have a generic code reader and its showing no fault codes. I imagine I need vagcom to diagnose. A friend is coming over tonight to plug his vagcom in so hopefully that will shed some light.

Last edited:

W11TTX

Apr 23, 2012
Cheshire
I'd dump the 4bar fpr . I don't think you really need it unless your stage 2 + and it puts more strain on fuel pump and injectors. That could be the reason your using a lot more fuel of what I read about them is right.

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Sorry I forgot to mention its a standard tip. And the fuel was just as bad with the 3 bar. Only put it on as I'm planning on going stage 2 soon and was told it wouldn't do any harm putting a 4bar on in the meantime

W11TTX

Apr 23, 2012
Cheshire
Iv heard it could kill the fuel pump or put extra strain on it! The tip collapsing could be a cause off it! If its goin on vag com doing some logs would help can't remember what bits to read but it may help