ESP fault > car immobilised > clock reset

Timmy B

Super Cupra
Mar 31, 2004
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hi all, after some help...

I have just purchased a Leon Cupra mk2. Upon driving it home a number of amber lights came on and then an ESP fault (typical nothing like this happend on the test drive). The lights were the steering wheel, tyre monitor and abs. These disappear after a short while. Then twice now I have got in the car, turned the key and nothing (i.e no dash lights like the car is immobilised). After a couple of attempts taking the key out of the ignition etc the car will start and the ESP fault will appear on the MFD and the clock has been reset to zero.

My friend did a check today using his snap-on device (after which the issue happend again later this evening) and he didn’t see anything obvious. Just a low voltage error and tyre pressure error. He cleared these.

Any ideas what to look for when he next plugs his device in?

Previous owner had changed the battery not so long ago and the key fob battery recently ran low.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Timmy B

Super Cupra
Mar 31, 2004
Sittingbourne, Kent
D288C1B1-2E97-4118-AAA2-20B4C9E39C66.jpeg

Timmy B

Super Cupra
Mar 31, 2004
Sittingbourne, Kent
Update: may have solved it. Took about as long as it did to write the post. The positive terminal connection on the battery was loose. Hopefully that’s that.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Fingers crossed that's sorted it for you. But just to add, those lights do come on every time the battery is disconnected and will go out after you drive a short distance / turn the steering wheel. So it sounds battery related.

Timmy B

Super Cupra
Mar 31, 2004
Sittingbourne, Kent
Legojon, yes the lights went away. Although the EPS fault flashed up on the MFD again today. I’m hoping that it’s only doing this because I need to get the fault caused by the loose terminal cleared and that will be that.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.