Excessive coolant loss????

Jun 15, 2013
If you read what dw911 says he also points out the importance of taking it to a dealer to investigate a sudden drop in coolant. So I'm just reiterating his own point.

Isn't that exactly what I said in the 3rd sentence. "A simple pressure test at the dealer should discover any leak".

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
So I got in the car thos morning on my normal drive to work and was greeted with a 'Check Coolant' warning. It was cold and dark so I thought I would check it when getting to work.

Now the coolant was closer to min than max when I first took delivery of the car but look at this!

I bought a Mk6 Golf, same reservoir as yours, at the onset I thought something was amiss as the water level dropped just like yours, after a couple of top ups it settled and it has been fine ever since, I put it down to an airlock myself.

Andy

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Isn't that exactly what I said in the 3rd sentence. "A simple pressure test at the dealer should discover any leak".

Just offering an opinion, nothing more nothing less. I'm certainly not having a go, so chill or I could start holding a grudge. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Just had a call from my dealers, they have done a pressure check and confirmed no leaks and also done a software upgrade while it was in which is good of them.

Shame that while mine is gone I have been rocking around in this beast.

evununaj.jpg

Even the number plate says its cack!

Now its time to go and pick up my lovely car before something goes bang in this Mii......

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Courtesy cars are always fast though. ;)

Glad its nothing to be concerned about. Be interesting to see if any others are affected, they need to check them better at the factory obviously.

Possibly something to do with the way they are filling them up nowadays, its not something we've commonly heard of effecting other new SEAT's in the past. Seems to be so far unique to Mk3 Leon's albeit just a couple reported so far.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Guys, any updates? I have my car (1.8TSI) for almost 4 months now and it looks that the coolant level droped, but not as much as yours.

Here is what I posted here to help you make your mind up on what to do.

Speaking from experience with the exact same (albeit mine was quite a dramatic drop) problem it will most likely be an air bubble trapped somewhere in the system that has all of a sudden made its way out.

Seat will do a pressure test for you free of charge and do a software update while your car is with them (Just an update on the bluetooth software).

If i were you (with the benefit of hindsight) I would top op the coolant and just keep an eye on it rather than having to try and put up with the unbelievably depressing experience of driving round in a dirty, battered Seat Mii for a day (And paying £12 for the luxury to do so too!).

Last edited:

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah, they stated that it would seem that the factory most likely hadn't bled the system properly and eventually the air has made its way out the space it was occupying is now taken up by coolant hence the drop.

Its has not dropped since.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
Guys, any updates? I have my car (1.8TSI) for almost 4 months now and it looks that the coolant level droped, but not as much as yours.

Mine is going in tomorrow to have the coolant looked at and also the faulty indicator stalk which went in the end of October as it was not cancelling after turning the wheel. Problem has returned. Will let you know when I have the car back.

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Mine is going in tomorrow to have the coolant looked at and also the faulty indicator stalk which went in the end of October as it was not cancelling after turning the wheel. Problem has returned. Will let you know when I have the car back.

I did a pressure test on mine, everything was fine.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Took mine to the dealer last Friday for them to check it over (and to sort the dash rattle). It had only lost a small amount of coolant but wanted them to take a look and be sure. They did a pressure test and found nothing wrong with the system, so replaced the coolant and all sorted. Also managed to sort the dash rattle which was great.

I had another MK3 Leon as a courtesy for the day, think it was a 1.6 SE with tech pack, interesting to make the comparison against my own car.

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I noticed the coolant level of my 1.8 TSI was just below the minimum line back in November last year. The dealer tested the system, found nothing wrong with it, and topped it up to just below the max line (when cold). Now, 2.5 months on, it's dropped by about 1cm. Any suggestions as to whether I should just top it up or does it warrant another (!) trip to the dealer?

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I noticed the coolant level of my 1.8 TSI was just below the minimum line back in November last year. The dealer tested the system, found nothing wrong with it, and topped it up to just below the max line (when cold). Now, 2.5 months on, it's dropped by about 1cm. Any suggestions as to whether I should just top it up or does it warrant another (!) trip to the dealer?

Personally if it's only dropped 1cm I would just top it up with the correct anti freeze and then just keep an eye on it whenever you need to lift the bonnet to fill up the screen wash, check the oil level etc

Obviously If you worried about it then get it checked again by the dealer, but as I said, if it was me I'd just top it up