Excessive Smoke?

Tinta Sport

Hi
Just bought a 05 Altea 2.0 TDI Sport DSG a couple of weeks ago for the wife and I must admit I love it. It has 20,000 on the clock and was previously the Seat Dealers demonstrator, although due to the mileage I expect it was also taken home by the reps.

My only concern is that it seems to smoke excessively when accelerating. Is this common to this engine/ gearbox, or something to worry about?

My VW Bora TDI 115 doesn't smoke half as much even under very hard acceleration.

The sales rep who sold it to me swore it recently had its 20k service, although the service log is not stamped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
It shouldn't smoke anymore than your Bora really but what springs to mind is whether one of the sales guys has at some point fitted a tuning box of sorts and subsequently left and nobody is aware of it at the dealers which would explain the excessive smoking. I know some dealers have fitted some of these to there cars on the quiet to make them more entertaining !!

Regarding your service give the service department a ring and they should be able to tell you when it last had a service as it should be recorded on their computer, then get the book stamped by them if it has else complain like hell.

loadswine

loadswine
This has been covered a few times I think.
As far as I've seen it is a bit of a characteristic of this engine. I've seen loads of VAG group cars with this engine that smoke to a noticeable extent. Not all tuning boxes make it worse and not all remaps make it worse. Mine made it better slightly.
If concerned, get the stealers to check it out.

PlatCupraR

Ex Plat cupra R owner
Mar 23, 2006
South East England
I have also noticed the same issue with my Leon 2.0 TDI Sport, however I have found that if I fill up at supermarket petrol stations Tesco - Asda etc it is worse. when using BP or Shell less smoking might to come down to the quality of fuel or just me going mad.

Tell

Staff member
I don't use Supermarket fuels if I can help is since the Jonest John, Daily Telegraph still says don't. I'm sure they are correct that their additives aren't as good as the fuel companies own. You'll just get the minimum in the Supermarket ones and their won't be the research either. Diesel Car isn't too fond of the Supermarket fuels although it did romance with Green Energy for a bit, the company that supplies the supermarkets.

Tinta Sport

Thanks for the reply guys

Turns out the car had been serviced at 20k just not stamped in service book, all sorted now.

I have been following a neighbours A3 with same engine/ gearbox, and his smokes just as much as the wifes Altea.

Will try the non supermarket fuel theory as Teco's finest is all its been having since purchased. lazyness I admit due to station being just at the end of the road.

Also, has anyone noticed less smoke by using an uprated air filter such as K&N or pipercross?

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
I only use Shell and Esso in the Altea for the same reason as Tell. I think that Honest John (Telegraph) has in the past recommended Shell specifically due to the additives that it puts in diesel for engine cleanliness and lubricity among others.

Smoke is generally a function of the sulphur content of diesel-fuel and I suspect that whilst there are regulations for this, the supermarket fuel will be at the limit (50ppm) and premium brands much better (as low as 10 ppm).

For those of you interested in performance then it is important to use a fuel with a high cetane content (can improve economy as well but only if the cetane is naturally high and not through the use of cetane improvers). I recently filled up with BP ultimate which is the highest natural cetane (55 vs. 51) of diesel available on the UK market. There were performance gains but IMHO I don't think that it jutifies the price premium (approx 7p/litre).

Ultimately using premium brands I have never had a problem with smoke from my Altea.

Tell

Staff member
I did find in my old ZX that BP gave me the best ummmph when I use to do a high mileage everyday round the M25, it was the best off all the fuels, but then they didn't have the extra charge for having something that wasn't regular. I think Honest John or Diesel Car's Dr Diesel, one of the two reckons that you shouldn't pay extra for extra additives, so they say Shell is the one to use. I too use Esso from time to time, but have boycotted BP and in any case their regular is always more dosh than other garages. It's the additive that keep your fuel pump in good condition as well as the engine.

I'm sure we all use this site for penny pinching when driving a route:

http://www.petrolprices.com/

[I might do the sliding seat upgrade one of these days Markirel although I was planning to do it whilst we had the better weather but I suspect I've missed that]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise