Exeo St or A4

runer

Dec 11, 2002
holland
Visit site
Hi Guys & Girls,
Am thinking of making a switch to a station wagon seeing that my little girl will be getting a sibling in the summer. I currently have the Leon 2.0 TDI which I really like in terms of looks & performace. My dilema is either to go for a new Exeo St 2.0 TSI (200PS) or a simillar 2nd Audi A4 Avant. Thing is I have not really 100% bought the looks of the Exeo. I feel that It has kind of suttle to conservative VW/ Skodaish looks whereas the A4 does look the business. Wonder if anyone has the ST with a bodykit & could post some pics. Also thinking of 18'RS4 alloys but wonder if this will ruin the ride comfort. Any thoughts?

Dec 3, 2009
I like the looks of the Exeo, I just looked up pics of the A4... :O

why are you even asking this question?
A4 all the way lol !
I would if I could afford one...

Cbeal

Feb 27, 2005
I couldn't justify the extra nearly 10 grand it would have cost me to get a similar spec A4. If I could afford it, I'd probably have gone for an A4 3.0 tdi quattro s-line, but that's 33000 or more. Even a 2.0TDI se has a list of £28K. I got mine for about £17.5K. Though I'm sure there are deals on A4s, the local Audi dealer was less than enthusiastic about doing any deal

runer

Dec 11, 2002
holland
Visit site
Thats the thing with new A4's. You pay for the premium. It just looks good. Wish they had been a bit more aggresive with the Exeo instead of claying over the A4 lines. On the account of living on the continent I am thinking of going to Germany to pick up a nearly new A4 (Between 2-5 K on the clock) for about the price of a new Exeo thing is its just too much work looking up a dealer in big bad Germany, getting all the paper work sorted & not to mention the import duties.

langy

Aug 9, 2006
I have just gone through this exact thought process.
I wanted to change my Leon and fancied an Estate (Avante, sport tourer, whatever you want to call them :confused:)
I narrowed it down to something in the VAG group of cars so was basically an Exeo ST, A4 Avante and a Octavia. I liked the look of the Exeo on the web, but when I saw one (Sport ST) in the flesh it didn't quite look right, the cabin was nice but could tell it was a few years old (out of the Audi B7) which was a little disappointing.
Looked at the Octavia on the web and pictures, but I didn't like it.
I also looked at an 18 month old A4 Avant S-line which was up for a similar amount of money and in all honesty it's chalk and cheese.
Needless to say, I opted for the A4 (B8). It is a really good looking car, OK it's 18 months old and has 13k on the clock, but it is a very highly spec'd car.
The Exeo I spec'd (Galia Blue & leather) was the essentially the same price as a 2nd hand A4. The £2k loyalty deal that SEAT were running nearly swayed my decision and the trade in on my old Leon was better with SEAT compared to Audi, but at the end of the day I think I have the better vehicle.
Just to note, I think my Leon (tdi Ref Sport) was quicker than both the ST and my A4 :doh:

HTH

Cbeal

Feb 27, 2005
If I'd not got a good deal on the ST (pre registered, 180 miles on the clock) I'd have given the A4 more consideration. There are a few SE s available for similar money to the price I paid, but generally with ~30K on the clock, which is a little high for me.

Hope you enjoy your A4. My old Leon Cupra was quicker too, but that's to be expcted :)

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Similair experience here when I bought my Exeo (Saloon).

I spotted the 'deal' on offer, and thought "Hmmm... that's a damn good price" which was made even more interesting when the dealer gave me a good part-ex price for my Altea.

When I looked at the B7 A4's that were available for the same price as I was going to be paying for the Exeo, I was surprised to find that I would have had to drop to a '56 plate A4 with about 45k on the clock.

Now to me that was a big enough of a difference to make me go for the Exeo.

The main factors being:

3 years full-warranty on the Exeo - None on the A4 (or on the Altea)
Better MPG on the Exeo (143CR Engine) - Lower on the A4 & Altea (140PD Engine)
No MOT for 3 years on the Exeo - every year for the A4 (& Altea)
Long-life servicing on the Exeo (so I was told anyway! ;) ) - Normal scheduled servicing for the A4/Altea

Those were the main factors that made me go for the Exeo.

When you look at it, it is basically an A4 with new styling. The Chassis/Engine/everything, is Audi design/build.

Someone made a comment about the interior being 'dated', which I can kind of agree with, but the Exeo actually has got the dash from the A7 Carbiolet, which is alot nicer than the std A4 dash. Yes, it's not as modern as the B8 dash, but nothing wrong with it in my book. It's 10 times batter than the Altea dash anyway :lol:

So I cannot see any 'plus' points for buying an A4 (either B7 or B8) over the Exeo, unless I;m missing something...... :confused:

Last edited:

runer

Dec 11, 2002
holland
Visit site
Andyj thats a very sober take on things. If the Exeo had that wow factor (I mean take a look at the green Leon Cupra thats used on the forum banner) then that would do it for me. I took a test drive on the 1.6 petrol and to say that it struggled in terms of drivability is an understatement. I do not know how the 2.0 TFSI or 2.0 diesel will perform hence I am planning another tets drive. The cabin from the inside looked fine to me and is an improvement over my 06 Leon. Body wise I feel that the Exeo St needs to be butched up a bit & I know that I will need 17" wheels to fill up the wheel arches. I am seriously considering it along with a newish Audi A4 (B8). Point is that as everyone points out there is more kit to be had then is standard on the A4

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Go for either the 143 or 170 2.0 TDi Sport, and you won't go far wrong ;)

The 170 is superb power delivery, but the 143 is more than enough for daily driving.

Definitely get yourself a test drive of the 2.0 TDi, i think you'll be presently surprised.

I'm surprised they sel the 1.6 petrol to be honest...... it's so underpowered for the size of the car, it's unreal!

unikarl

Nov 18, 2002
Yorks
Visit site
I've just had the exact same dilemma on A4 or Exeo....

I went for the A4 in the end.

I did really like the Exeo but you can get a second hand A4 with a large extra's list for less than a new Exeo. I also think the A4, though obviously very similar still wins in looks too. The interior in the A4 I prefer as I just didn't think the round vents suited the car very well and then you get the little bits of attention to detail too like the illuminated air vents and other little things that don't really matter but its nice to have them.

I was very tempted by the Exeo and its a great car but I don't for one second regret my choice.