Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

EXEO Suggested Gear Changes

Discussion in 'Exeo & Exeo ST' started by David Smith, Dec 5, 2018.

1. David Smith

David Smith Member

Hi All,

I have just purchased a SEAT EXEO SE Tech 2.0 TDI. I would like to ask regarding the gear changes.

It appears the car is highly torqued, with gear changes around 1500-1750rpm. I have a six speed gearbox. I am finding it makes my car very thirsty for fuel, going through a half tank in 1 week.

My last car was a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI Classic. I have been told by taxi drivers, the engine is technically the same. I made gear changes at the most economical point - 2000rpm. In the Octavia a half tank could last me a fortnight.

Please could someone enlighten me if the gear changes on the EXEO is correct or whether it had been remapped. Also, is there any way I can find out if my ECU is adaptive?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide :)

2. David Smith

David Smith Member

Finally found what I was looking for in the user handbook. It says SEAT recommend changing gear at 2000rpm.

Now to ascertain whether the ECU had been remapped or if it is Adaptive....

3. chriswales6

chriswales6 Full Member

The 1.9TDI is different to the 2.0TDI, if you had an early MK1 Octavia then the 2.0TDI in your Exeo is very different to your old engine.

Things have moved on and cars are now much safer. This means they weigh more and have more emissions equipment. Mid 50s MPG is easily enough to get with the 1.9. But it seems 45-50 MPG is more realistic with the Exeo.

There're a few things you can check: Tyre Pressures, Clean Air Filter, Brakes Binding.

4. Jay1601

Jay1601 Full Member

If eco driving I can average between 58-60mpg

With a mix of driving usually average between 50-55mpg

Mapped/modified 2.0TDi

If you got the software/cable you can see how many times the ECU has been played with

5. David Smith

David Smith Member

Over the weekend I've been driving the car and changing gear at 2000rpm certainly is helping the fuel economy. I think the brakes on the drivers side might be binding so will need to take a look at that. I also checked my tyres and although the grip is good B, the Fuel efficiency is poor E. May need to change them in the summer for better tyres. I've purchased a fuel and engine cleaner to help the engine out. Going to phone a SEAT dealer to check if my car needs an update. EA189 Diesel Action

6. Bedlam

Bedlam Full Member

7. wes

wes Member

Sorry, but do you really need to look at the rev counter every gear change? Can't be safe if you are constantly monitoring the instruments rather than driving.
    There is no set rule of a certain rpm, for example up an incline in 5th at 2000rpm might use more fuel than in 4th, with less stress on engine.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

8. David Smith

David Smith Member

Cheers. Apparently my car had never visited A SEAT garage since it was originally purchased direct from SEAT.

It'll make interesting reading when it's booked in for the EA189 update. I can ask if the ECU had been altered from factory settings....

9. David Smith

David Smith Member

Agreed Wes, on an incline a lower gear is always the better option.

In my Octavia i listened for the sound of the engine as it reached 2000rpm, then changed gear then

10. wes

wes Member

If the update you refer to is the vag emissions scandal, there are hundreds of reports that it will make the economy WORSE and less driveable.
    I wouldn't bother.
    Mine has been remapped, with the egr and the DPF still perfectly functional. I get an average of 50 mpg with a mixture of driving.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk