Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Exhaust decibel cameras

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Chat' started by Jimbobcook, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook MK2 Cupra R Stock+
    Staff Member

2. Legojon

Legojon Will work for TTE420
    Staff Member

Ace. Why doesn't the transport secretary just outlaw car sales except from him? Then open a garage that sells nowt but electric Miis.

3. Jimbobcook

Staff Member

bigT's lcr likes this.
  4. Jimbobcook

Staff Member

I think it's discrimination on a hobby, we don't put camera's on traffic lights for anyone who doesn't have Speed blue paint...

If it passes an MOT then what more can we do...

I wonder if my stock R is louder than 70db with full beans lol

@theoldboy what was the db of yours on the track?

bigT's lcr likes this.
  5. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Senior Member

To be fair some cars are pretty obnoxiously loud for no good reason. If they can wake you up by driving past your house, they are too loud.

MOTs only check if your car is safe, being a bit loud isnt really a safety issue (unless its REALLY loud), but it is a public order issue. Its not like its not impossible to sound good without being deafening.

6. Jimbobcook

Staff Member

I totally agree but to make a car that loud you would have to de cat and take out the res one would assume or just have a straight through pipe which would fail on emissions hence the MOT...

I'm pretty sure that a res delete DSG pop and bang mod would be quite alot louder than 70db lol which is the most popular mod on the MK3.

7. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Senior Member

I dont think 70db is actually confirmed though, from what I can see its a current suggestion only. Its less than many new, type approved cars. The main problem vehicles I see are older cars in the hands of teenagers and motorbikes. Some bikes are really absurdly loud, to the point that you can feel them as they drive by.

Jimbobcook likes this.
  8. Legojon

Legojon Will work for TTE420
    Staff Member

I've farted louder than 70db.

It's a case of not being able to please everyone. My neighbour, for annonyimity, lets just call him dickhead. His exhaust on his stock 1.2 Corsa has been blowing for about 2 years now (no idea where he gets his mot) and wakes me up at 5:30 every morning (fair enough if he has to go to work at that time). So I'd be a hypocrete to say I want his exhaust to be silent and mine to be louder. Maybe they should do something like London and have zones where you have to pay to go if you break a certain db to keep boy racers out the city.

9. bigT's lcr

bigT's lcr Delete. Beat. Repeat...

Mine passed its mot wiyh flying colours... :whistle:

Legojon and Jimbobcook like this.
  10. the2oldboy

the2oldboy Guest

Sorry @Jimbobcook had some nasty people playing with my gmail account so had to delete it and therefore had to set up a new user profile.

Re noise mine runs at about 86 but to be fair that is taken directly behind the exhaust at 4000 rpm so sitting at traffic lights where the exhaust will be away form the camera I dont see it making any difference. The logical place to enforce this stuff is at the MOT but we all know the there are kind MOT Stations that look after Modified cars :)

bigT's lcr likes this.
  11. martin j.

martin j. Full Member

My neighbours Skyline is stupidly loud as is a Focus RS that visits him, I know that a couple of his nearer neighbours have had a quiet word but I haven’t heard any difference in his driving style, there is a difference between sporty loud and making your ears bleed.