exhaust noise

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
ive just done away with my back box, i want that turbo spool down noise or what some people call a dump valve...

all i have in the system now is the cat, if i get rid of the cat will i then get that noise?

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
hello mate i have a tdi ibiza in kent.ive done away with my backbox but still got dpf internals stopping a nice sound...im not sure if maybe u would need a turbo back system im not 100%

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
hmm ok so your not getting the noise either? im new to diesels but in my petrol experience ive found that most cats havnt had no noise effect really

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
If you have already got rid of the backbox you should be getting some whistle from the turbo, but if you want to enhance this noise I would recommend a milltek down pipe.

Its not necessary for a full system to be installed necessarily but if you've got the cash get the Downpipe and a 2.5" custom exhaust.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
i had a whistle from the exhaust before i removed the backbox although i think it might be a boost leak because a mondeo tdci 130ps had a slight edge on me earlier and surely a 150pd should have the edge on a mondy?

all i want is that "whooo" noise when you release off the throttle, surely you dont need a bigger downpipe to get that noise?

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
i only get a nice sound when the regen starts but once dpf comes out the custom stainless steel system should make a nice sound all the time

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
Yeah basically the car still sounds standars but only cause the dpf inters are still there once they come out it be fine...pop down to my bluewater meet tonight mate and ill explain abit more

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
id like to but im babysitting...grrr, do u meet at bluewater every week? i used to go bluewater meets on thursday nights i think it was, im going back about 4years now.

i dont think my car has a dpf just has a cat. so if i get rid of the cat i will then get the noise im looking for?

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Ok well the turbo nosie your wanting alot of people want the same nosie some like it some people don't

But unforutanlly some cars don't and won't make that sound I can not explain y but I have read this a few times on hear plus other vw forums but like I said some people have tryed everything to get that sound and have been unsuccessfull when like me my car has a cone air filter and standerd exhaust and it flutters like mad and very loud. For some strange reason some cars don't do this and it's unexplained.

So in other words I'd say a decat might not still make that sound.

For some

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
id like to but im babysitting...grrr, do u meet at bluewater every week? i used to go bluewater meets on thursday nights i think it was, im going back about 4years now.

i dont think my car has a dpf just has a cat. so if i get rid of the cat i will then get the noise im looking for?

Your car (like mine) just has a cat. I've seen Thor Racing and other videos of Leon diesels after the 'mufflerectomy' (back box delete) on Youtube which have the 'pigeon sound' (spool down) so I'd have thought you'd already have the noise?

If not, you could just get the cat removed and a short section of straight pipe welded in in its place. No need to shell out for the downpipe as the cat sits under the car in a straight section of the exhaust.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
nah i dont have the noise? i wasnt going to replace the downpipe, im going to weld in some 57mm exhaust tubing. although im sure i have a boost leak somewhere as it really dont feel like a 150.

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend

well if ur ever free one evening mate id happily meet u atbluewater for a chat and view your car.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
nah i dont have the noise? i wasnt going to replace the downpipe, im going to weld in some 57mm exhaust tubing. although im sure i have a boost leak somewhere as it really dont feel like a 150.

Best bet is to find a place that'll do smoke testing to find any leaks. The pressure pipework joints are a pretty poor design on our engines TBH and the locating lugs on the pipe ends wear and leak. The OEM pipes aren't cheap either - I paid £60 for a short one last year. Mind you, people have had hassles with the aftermarket hard pipe / silicone kits on here too. David at SERE motors on this forum used to be able to get the 'O-ring seals for the pipe ends separately so you could try replacing the seals if there are any leaks.

My car felt slow too when I got it, coming from a mapped Focus 1.8TDCi which in theory had less power / torque. Your best bet is to get it pressure tested and make sure the pipework is up to scratch then get a remap.

Just be aware that if your clutch is a bit dodgy the remap might kill it. Had mine limited to 300 lb ft. torque to let me use a standard clutch but the old one still slipped and needed replacing. Tuning cars isn't cheap...

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Can anyone answer this...

If you we're to have one muffler/silencer in the exhaust system on a pd 150 would it better to replace the cat with a free flow (specifically spiral technology)muffler or put the muffler at the end of the exhaust system with the cat removed.

Would spool be improved having the muffler nearer the engine in place of the cat or would it not make much difference where you placed it?

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
i think its still on its first clutch, i dont want it remapped to go racing i would just like the power there if i need it, i think getting it pressure tested is the way forward...

i cant see why it would matter where the silencer is placed as long as it free flowing enough? i would of thought a nice clean turbo with decent bearings and a decent actuator is the best way to improve spooling?

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
BenG, i got told that our cars should try to do a wheelspin when standard and when remapped go absolutely nuts? how true is this as my car dont even attempt to spin... i think im finding it slow because ive gone from a golf 1.8t aum remapped to this pd150 lol.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
BenG, i got told that our cars should try to do a wheelspin when standard and when remapped go absolutely nuts? how true is this as my car dont even attempt to spin... i think im finding it slow because ive gone from a golf 1.8t aum remapped to this pd150 lol.

I think it would have been hard to spin the wheels in the dry pre-remap. Car felt pretty sluggish generally in any gear above 3rd, despite putting out the rated power/torque.

It was possible in the wet when i got the car but then it had ditchfinders fitted which were pretty appalling - like banana skins. The car has loads of traction now with decent tyres fitted

Post remap I'm sure wheelspinning would be easy with 300lbft torque but I've not tried as I'm hoping to keep using the standard clutch and DMF a while longer:D

The transmission really does not like hard acceleration from low revs - much below 2000rpm - though. I've inadvertently done it a couple of times and a severe thumping from the DMF and clutch smells result - not recommended... I have to drive around the transmission's shortcomings to a degree, which is slightly annoying as the engine could clearly deliver good torque at lower revs than I am able to use for fear of screwing the clutch/DMF.

If you've got the cash I'd go for an uprated clutch from the likes of Sachs and a new DMF. Not sure how good the single mass flywheels are for the Leon, or whether SMFs cause more problems than they solve when fitted to cars designed for DMFs.

But I guess that wasn't your question :rolleyes:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.