exhaust noise

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
its good to know, my friend had a golf pd130 and he fitted a smf and he said it felt fine but he sold the car approx 3000 miles after so dont know what the long term will be like. ive seen a LUK dmf/clutch kit somewhere for about £380.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
just to update... i cut the cat out and replaced with a bit of 75mm exhaust tubing, i get the "pidgeon" noise now, its not that loud but im guessing it will get louder once remapped.

oh, that cat was completely blocked and full of sh*t, its a must do i think.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
That will be where all your whistle noise was going then! Being muffled by the blocked cat! Lol I might do the same!

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
i think its a good thing to do, people claim it makes the car faster and wot not, it dont feel faster to me it just feels more free and easy revving if that makes sense. they only down side is that when i start the car up in the morning i get quite a bit of black smoke but it soon clears once its warmed up.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I was regularly knocking out 117 mph out of a 90bhp tdi cordoba vario with a 2 and 1/4" straight through exhaust as the only power related modification. Standard show be 110/112 mph. It must be allowing more flow increasing power?

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
20130629_090415_zpsdcc5276a.jpg

guys this has happened to mine, midpipe has snapped off the cat and im just thinking of removing the cat and getting a straight through put in no backbox. Ive also just done an EGR delete but is the car gonna ssound too loud after everything?

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
round town driving i dont think it sounds much different but when u put your foot down in higher revs its fairly loud, no where near as loud as a petrol car

DeanC93

GHZ 4168 #1 :P
Apr 10, 2013
Kilrea, Northern Ireland
If it's power you're after then your best bet is a de cat with no middle box with a single back box.
I had this kind of set up on my ibiza but now I have a full straight pipe from the turbo and it makes the wooing noise you're talking about with a very loud growling note. I don't see any change in power either but a bit of back pressure should give more power in theory and be less harsh on your turbo seals etc.
Any 1.9 or 2.0 TDi apart from most 90's will "choo" with the silencer boxes removed but it will be louder without the cat as well. If it doesn't then you've got a boost leak or your turbo isn't boosting properly and is probably on it's way out.
A smaller diameter pipe will give a longer lasting higher pitched "choo" where as a larger diameter pipe will give a shorter deeper pitched "choo".

Hope this helps, welcome to the diesel straight piped land that is Northern Ireland :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise