Exhaust Smoke

DMJ

Morning Guys and Girls,

When I start my car and hoof it, for the first 10-20 minutes loats of black smoke comes out in higher revs. After 20 minutes or so, even in higher revs, this stops happening.

Am I right in saying Redex (or whatever its called) or a Terraclean will clean all the sh*t out and stop this happening?

Apologies if this exists already, did a search but couldn't see it.

Thanks

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Only if the smoke is due to some gunk in the fuel system.

You could have a boost leak, or a sensor on the way out, dodgy injector, or some gunk in the inlet track.
You might need to get out with VCDS, check injector balance, log boost levels, requested boost levels etc etc

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Yep, sounds like you have a mixture control issue when the engine is cold (and possibly when warm too). Check for obvious signs of a boost leak, check for fault codes and do some logging of fuelling data as above if nothing looks obviously wrong.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Probably is the turbo, but the question is why is it whistling and where exactly is the noise coming from?
Not everything comes up with an exact or helpful fault code, so sometimes you've gotta do the leg work to figure out whats at fault.

Start by checking all the intake hose joins, if you find one thats abit sludgy or wet it's more than likely leaking boost.

DMJ

I took it to the mechanics at work. They think it has a **** remap on it or the Turbo is on its way out. I have it booked in for Saturday to get the map checked out and to be corrected if it's ****.

Failing the remap outcome, it might end up costing alot of money to fix :censored:

DMJ

:cop: UPDATE :cop:

Weeeeeell . . . . I took it to the garage and it turns out, it had a stage 1 remap on it but when the remap was done, it was done for purely power/bhp gains only. The power had been smashed right up to maximum but the engine was requesting 20% more fuel than the car could burn, hence the black smoke, unburnt fuel smell and the fact I was burning off cars that were way faster than mine on paper.

My guy took the map off, reconfigured it and put it back on. As it stands now, the right fuel is being burnt, the bhp and power hasn't changed and now runs at 210bhp from 170bhp standard. He has put some engine cleaning fluid through it and the smoke stopped, and . . . its still rapid! Win Win situation :rocker:

Reactions: CustardKing93
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.