expensive insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Adam R, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Adam R

Adam R Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word

basically its that time to renew my insurance.

things that have been done:

1) cupra suspension

my car is a 1,4 seat ibiza cool/s with standard cupra alloys (from factory)
    i do about 12k miles a year. its locked in a garage at night.

so why is it that my insurance is so expensive.. im talking 800 quid with 400 excess. i have 1 yrs ncb, no convictions or anything. im employed and an engineer. im 21

my sister is on the quote is an artist and self employed. no accidents or convictions. she is 24

so why is it so much. im hating all these prices as i was expecting around the 500 mark and 250 excess, not 800 upwards and 400 excess

any help would be great as i need to drop the price..... could it be my sister as being an artist make her and her art make my car more wanted to be broken in to???

adam

2. Neg.

Neg. Full Member

Have you tried Tesco? I'm on they're "value" policy. Like you, i'm 21 and have a years no claims. Ive also got 3 1/2 years driving experience. I'm paying 830 quid on a Leon cupra (180 bhp). downside is theres a 750 excess on it. HTH

3. Adam R

but will they accept mods ??? i know alot of these companies wont touch modded cars.

i know mine isnt exactly modded alot, but they seem to think having standard cupra alloys (came with from factory), cupra suspension (had to do myself as one of my standard shocks where gone) and 20mm wheel spacers on the rear.
    they instantly turn me down :confused:

another thing i dont like is your excess!!1 i just hope you never have to claim, mine is only £250

4. John-Cupra_TDI

John-Cupra_TDI Full Member

Try Adrian Flux, my insurance is just over 800 with 2 yr ncb, and i'm 22, on a Clio 182, will be the same when a get my Ibiza cupra next week. With a cat back exhaust, viper, tinted windows it made no difference. They said you can basically do wot you want (including suspension, I asked about coilovers when I phoned them), aslong as its not big power changes then the premium will go up.

5. Adam R

i am finally with admiral..... £702 fully comp with me, my sister and mum on.
    by far the cheapest by over £100 from all other insurers i tired, including adrian flux

6. DanTheSeatMan

DanTheSeatMan Full Member

Thats a good price, was that for 12months or 10?

Dan

7. DigiGuru

DigiGuru Full Member

I was going to say try Bell (www.bell.co.uk) or Elephant (www.elephant.co.uk) - They are both part of the Admiral group, but Bell usually come up cheaper for younger drivers, and Elephant once you're a bit older.

8. sheffy_seat

sheffy_seat Guest

i have got the same model as you adam, im much worse off though. Total of £3000 because its on monthly payments (£2400 up front). 19yr old male, one write off, working as a design engineer. Loving the Cool/S though, apart from the outgoings :(

9. Adam R

holy sheit man!!! £3k!! you must either be off your rocker or have lots of money about.

as for having a write off. drive slower mate, i suffer from stress and get road rage alot. i have no found that if i drive like a granny (no hurry to get anywhere) and doing less speed in the given zone, it gives me more time to react to any problems ahead aswell as better fuel consumption etc.

i know im an old fart and you think i dont like going around corners fast but i do!i just save it for the correct times and places and its much more enjoyable, and i know i will get to see my fiance every weekend.

10. robreidmotors

robreidmotors RobReid

I have traders insurance at the moment, not helpful to you guys!!!

However, Hastings Direct used to be good for me, the other thing is to use a comparison site, i cant post links in here but they are all the same.

Adrian flux has been mentioned, usually ok, they once didnt take out my direct debits, and werent interested when i phoned to tell them, and paid out for an accident, cant get better than that lol!

Swinton did my traders insurance, might be equally good for normal insurance?

11. D3DNA

D3DNA Full Member

I've been driving for over 4 years now and I have never paid less than 1k on insurance. I'm now 23

12. Adam R

what do you drive???
    i think the cost of now running a car is getting stupidly expensive, for every tank of fuel im having to save so much just to run the car. 1 tank of fuel is near 60 quid for the biza now. im saving an extra 40+ quid on top of that for running costs and insurance., i feel like crying.