Extended Warranty?

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
Has anyone take the 5yr extended warranty when buying their car? Details

Im trying to decide if the £439 could be worth it on a 184 DSG. I've heard that they can be expensive to fix if something goes wrong

Jun 15, 2013
Bought it when I bought my 1.4 TSi. Although the new belt drive engine is completely different to the old chain drive the number of horror stories I had read over the years made me nervous and since I keep my cars about 5 years normally the extra cost was well worthwhile since provided you bought it before the car was registered the warranty covered exactly the same items as the first 3 years. Since the DSG box has been very troublesome in the past I think it is well worth buying, some sites still recommend selling any VAG car with a DSG before the warranty expires.

Also bought the service plan, quite a saving over the cost of individual services. Costs me £10.91 a month for 3 years. I was not aware at the time you could get longer plans, if I had known I would have bought a 4 year one since its not much more and the 4th year service is expensive.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I asked about extended warranty when I picked mine up and was told they'd contact me about purchasing an extended warranty when the main one expires in 3years time. Was odd as website said it had to be ordered with the car.

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
I think for the 'new' warranty it has to be ordered from factory and before pickup. As you were picking up the car, only the warrarty for 'old' cars would apply and would be bought at the end year 3.

Jun 15, 2013
I asked about extended warranty when I picked mine up and was told they'd contact me about purchasing an extended warranty when the main one expires in 3years time. Was odd as website said it had to be ordered with the car.

You can only purchase the genuine Seat extended warranty when you buy the car. Any other warranty you buy will be either Seats warranty for older cars or an aftermarket warranty not worth the paper its written on.

The Seat warranty you would get when the car is 3 years old does not cover as much but is more expensive especially when you consider to get the lowest annual price for their best cover (£199) there is a £250 excess.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do now, pretty sure you have to buy the warranty with the car. Looks like the dealer stuffed you good and proper.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I had a quote for about 25 ish a month on my Mk2 CR 170 from Seat Extended Warrenties online. This was for the silver cover level.

I received the letter about it in the post about month before the car's 3rd birthday.

I am considering it if I decide to keep the car and not trade it in for a Leon ST as I have the DSG box and a repair bill on that would be sickening to pay!

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Bought it when I bought my 1.4 TSi. Although the new belt drive engine is completely different to the old chain drive the number of horror stories I had read over the years made me nervous and since I keep my cars about 5 years normally the extra cost was well worthwhile since provided you bought it before the car was registered the warranty covered exactly the same items as the first 3 years. Since the DSG box has been very troublesome in the past I think it is well worth buying, some sites still recommend selling any VAG car with a DSG before the warranty expires.

Also bought the service plan, quite a saving over the cost of individual services. Costs me £10.91 a month for 3 years. I was not aware at the time you could get longer plans, if I had known I would have bought a 4 year one since its not much more and the 4th year service is expensive.

Did you mean to say the old belt drive and the new chain drive?

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Has anyone take the 5yr extended warranty when buying their car? Details

Im trying to decide if the £439 could be worth it on a 184 DSG. I've heard that they can be expensive to fix if something goes wrong

Doesn't sound a bad deal if you're planning keeping the car for 5 years. Is it transferable?

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
No. The previous TSi engines were chain drive, the new ones are belt drive.

After doing some research I understood that you were probably talking about the 1.2 and 1.4 engines. I am almost sure that the 1.8 TSI is the EA888 3gen engine and has a chain drive and not a belt drive.

Jun 15, 2013
After doing some research I understood that you were probably talking about the 1.2 and 1.4 engines.

Would have thought that was obvious. I stated in post number 2 where I mentions the fact that the engines were now belt not chain that I had a 1.4. This is what I wrote:

"when I bought my 1.4 TSi. Although the new belt drive engine is completely different to the old chain drive"

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.