Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Possible next incarnation

1_G.jpg

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Didn't think you "liked" fabbed manifolds - I thought the view was that they cracked?

That's a big turbo flange/up top mounted - what's it for? External wastegate... Head flange looks twisted. What material is it? The bends are stamped up, are they something special?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Feel said:
Didn't think you "liked" fabbed manifolds - I thought the view was that they cracked?

That's a big turbo flange/up top mounted - what's it for? External wastegate... Head flange looks twisted. What material is it? The bends are stamped up, are they something special?

"cast" manifolds can crack too in my personal experience

Its a guy off Vortex.. fab's them up. Not mine but I am thinking the same lines. (buy or make)

Its easy to fit, whereas mines a complete arse to fit..., its weldable in the event of it cracking, whereas cast is a lot more tricky, it is equal length which would go some ways to improving power & delivery on a larger unit. I could run a nicer flowing intake and exhaust DP on something like this.

Thin welded ones have been known to crack, but these are heavier w/t material.

Worth a punt I think.

2_G_001.jpg

3_G_001.jpg

and another one>
prototype1.jpg

Its not mine.... juts thinking this route.
guys post is here>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2468215

GT35 on it.

and yea... carpet looks a bit... erm.... :repuke:

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I take it you're having some 'fun' melting/destroying some stuff then.

Is the first one cermic coated? That's why it looks a bit like alloy? Doesn't say in the thread. Don't know if you could re weld one of them.

The bottom one looks like a "better" design wastegate route/path. I don't think it's just because it's shiney, but that bottom one is "sex"... Top one will probably do the job but looks a bit Massey Ferguson in comparison.

Would love to have a go at one of them :D

I guess the stamping on the bends is to do with it being schedule 20/40 then. Don't know if there's a comparable B.S.?

At the place where I did my apprenticeship we used to do mainly re-furb of heavy engineering stuff (coal mining machinery). I remember them doing a bit of Metal Spray for resurfacing some components, I once wondered if you could fab a manifold then metal something exotic over it/in it to improve it's heat resistance. Probably not worth it. Probably just wait for it to crack then make a new one.

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
Feel said:
I once wondered if you could fab a manifold then metal something exotic over it/in it to improve it's heat resistance. Probably not worth it. Probably just wait for it to crack then make a new one.
Isn't that the whole point of ceramic coating it?

See this link, when i was thinking of getting a tubular mani made i thought of this!
http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/Exhausts.htm

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
YerMother said:
Isn't that the whole point of ceramic coating it?

:rolleyes: :redface: :foot:

Edit: I actually meant to build up the material thickness and as such its thermal mass...

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Scotty_b said:
Yeah so mines, just when i mentioned it on here before i got flamed!

dunno why.
The only thing with wrapping is that heat has to go somewhere, so the first part of exposed exhaust then runs that much hotter. somethign to bare in mind exhaust rubber hanger wise ;)

my exhaust runs hot enough it turns the tailpipe blue/purple temper colours.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Feel said:
I take it you're having some 'fun' melting/destroying some stuff then.

Is the first one cermic coated? That's why it looks a bit like alloy? Doesn't say in the thread. Don't know if you could re weld one of them.

The bottom one looks like a "better" design wastegate route/path. I don't think it's just because it's shiney, but that bottom one is "sex"... Top one will probably do the job but looks a bit Massey Ferguson in comparison.

Would love to have a go at one of them :D

I guess the stamping on the bends is to do with it being schedule 20/40 then. Don't know if there's a comparable B.S.?

At the place where I did my apprenticeship we used to do mainly re-furb of heavy engineering stuff (coal mining machinery). I remember them doing a bit of Metal Spray for resurfacing some components, I once wondered if you could fab a manifold then metal something exotic over it/in it to improve it's heat resistance. Probably not worth it. Probably just wait for it to crack then make a new one.

"fun" is'nt a word I would choose :no:

There are a few fabricated manifolds, equal length which take my fancy now. The myth of cast manifolds not cracking is complete BS in my experience. They can crack.

The bottom mani does look the nicer I agree.

Tim's GT30R ibiza runs a fab'd manifold, no supports, external Tial wastegate, and has not cracked. Its a work of art, more like the lower picture one. Dutchdub made it I think?

I would guess that if it did crack and was ceramic coated, then it could have the coating shotblast off to allow access to the cracked area. Sch10 is ~3mm w/t I believe. Good backpurge on the welding and it should be nice and stable to TIG up something, in 304/316 Stst nice & neatly.

Making something which actually fits easily is also on my design critera. Having struggled with mine. :doh: Awkward fitment. Top mounted also likely to make easier DP fabrication if positioned correctly, also intake could be smoother inlet, not 90 degree bend entry pinned by gearchange cables and coolant pipes. Maybe still underslung but higher than current.. project the outlet up before the go back down again. Many things to consider. *(ibiza being a very awkward car anyhow)

Last edited:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Plus you run the advantages of a tubular manifold which flow far better than a cast unit. Would be a great upgrade for people wanting to get a new mani for there KO4 then change to the eliminator etc, not sure how much room for an equal tube mani keeping the stock locations tho. We have been testing a tubular mani v’s cast on my mates fiesta RS (running a T3) and were getting Far better results than with stock, now just testing equal length and then 4-1 mani for extra torque.

Are you thinking of doing a range of these bills or is this only really for your beasty? Be nice if we had a source with costs etc of one with ceramic coating (think it was circa £200 last time I looked at this)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.