fab'd manifold

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Ruddmeister said:
Does this mean your cars new set up is T3/T4 ?

Nope. but the manifold can be either flange setup.
My bigger unit is flanged IHI, but if doing it again it would'nt be. I had hoped I could "just bolt it onto my existing mani" but its too big physically, and I have had ongoing issues with the cast manifold anyhow. It was only flanged IHI to suit what I had. It did'nt fit.. so I could have got a different spec exhaust housing in a more appropriate pattern (read Garrett). I dont like the 3 bolt flange on IHI personally, but thats what I have so it will have to do. I have chosen a different, hopefully successfull, sealing method from mani to turbo, which should minimise any potential blowing or leaking.
When I have run gaskets on my IHI turbo to mani, they have all blown due to various metalwork warping. IHI exhausings are not good at high temps as my pile of melted/cracked/distorted ones lying around will confirm. The most reliable, but still not 100% was metal to metal sealing, but that soon goes south when one of the 2 components decides to change shape under temperature.

Next unit may well have twin scroll exhaust housing on same build spec internals. Manifold will accomodate this fine. (and the unit I have now is physically larger than a GT30R), so if mine clears then most practically sized turbo's should also.

Ibiza is a very awkward fitment compared to Leons'Golfs/ Octavia's etc. Even TT's are easier with their 4WD.

Cant wait till Friday so I can install all this ont o the motor over the weekend. Like a kid waiting for Xmas... I really want to know what this turbo does.

Last edited:

SHARKY

ibizacupra said:
they look good.
damn i see this now. :doh:

my new mani will be ready along with its new DP on friday.
DP exit on yours would be more difficult for servo clearance tho on rhd car and my compressor would touch brake lines on bulkhead
These are from a preproduction unit actually and the quality is not at 100%.
Production ones look even better
Its been installed on RHD Ibiza, no problems, it is designed taking RHD cars into consideration. Actually its part of an IHI kit.
Good luck with your mani and the badgerwagon:cheers:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
SHARKY said:
These are from a preproduction unit actually and the quality is not at 100%.
Production ones look even better
Its been installed on RHD Ibiza, no problems, it is designed taking RHD cars into consideration. Actually its part of an IHI kit.
Good luck with your mani and the badgerwagon:cheers:

Thanks for the wishes..
I am intrigued how the DP routes on yours..... (servo is very close)

Runners from #1,#2 will be close/interfereing with DP outlet?

My turbo is'nt IHI now, so with bigger comes more space requirement which is why I dont think yours would suit my particular unit.

Oh hang on... this one is over or under mounted? on 2nd look is it under mounted? (cos not a hope of my turbo fitting underslung... way too big)

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
DP is going to be modded to clear the steering rack in the next couple of days. DP is full 3" with EGT and x2 lambda boss positions

I'll post pictures in the next few days in the Badger5 section as I go thru the fitment proper on mine.

Also part of the package is a new charge pipework setup and FMIC, from the same fabricator. This fabricator is top notch, doing work for notable names in WRC rallying scene and development for Red Bull F1 exhaust etc.

This mani and DP is being tooled up for production. 1st off is mine as pattern and proof of fitment. Getting close to reality now. :)

Dec 9, 2002
CARDIFF
Visit site
Bill do you think your mani would be suitable for a gt28r on my car?Its just that Matt has still got his sitting in the garage and i should be able to get some money together this winter.;)Ps i forgot how much those 5 stud spacers and bolts were,can you pm me the price for 2 please.I'm still debating the discs. Andy

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
ANDY BLUNT said:
Bill do you think your mani would be suitable for a gt28r on my car?Its just that Matt has still got his sitting in the garage and i should be able to get some money together this winter.;)Ps i forgot how much those 5 stud spacers and bolts were,can you pm me the price for 2 please.I'm still debating the discs. Andy

My mani would fit gt28rs easily.. mine is larger than a GT30 and fits ok in tiny ibiza engine bay.

I'll post up some pics I took tonight of the new setup mocked up on a spare cyl head.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
new-mani-1.jpg

new-mani-2.jpg

new-mani-3.jpg

new-mani-4.jpg

more pix on my thread in Badger5 section now here>> http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96316

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I've seen a few rough arse looking mani's on Vortex but that looks superb Bill you must be very happy......looks like good access to the bolts too.

Obviously looks aren't everything and performance in race conditions will be the proof of the pudding but looking very good indeed.

We need pics of the turbo mounted on there too ;)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Ruddmeister said:
We need pics of the turbo mounted on there too ;)

If you follow the link at the bottom of the post, all will be revealed in my section. I am posting in there on this now..
cheers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.