Facelift My09? Rumours or spypics?

Maximus2000uk

9080804.001.Mini2L.jpg

MK6 Golf

More of a facelift but they are marketing it as next gen.

There will not be a R32/36 of the Golf 6, the top 3 engine's all are 2.0TSI one's.
A basic 200 hp 2.0TSI, a 240 hp 2.0TSI for the GTI and a 272 hp 4Motion top version probably called RSI.
A R36 make no sense because the 272 hp 2.0TSI 4Motion version would wipe the floor with it.

Coming to a dealership near you, the new VW Golf Repetitive Strain Injury. So good, you'll injure yourself thinking about it:doh:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
It is impossible for those engine specs to be correct for numerous reasons, but most notably because the 2.0 TFSI engine no longer gives out 200bhp - it was recently updated for use in the facelifted A3 & new A4 and now gives out 207bhp. Seems natural that the 2.0 TFSI engine would therefore run at 207bhp.

dunno how accurate your info is. new a3 spec the 2.0 tfsi at 200ps, except the s3 at 265ps.

a3petrol.jpg

Maximus2000uk

Hmm, looks like they simply cleaned up the co2 emissions on the A3 then opposed to giving it the uprated engine. My mistake.

Poverty

It is impossible for those engine specs to be correct for numerous reasons, but most notably because the 2.0 TFSI engine no longer gives out 200bhp - it was recently updated for use in the facelifted A3 & new A4 and now gives out 207bhp. Seems natural that the 2.0 TFSI engine would therefore run at 207bhp.

Furthermore, based on how much better the Scirocco is, in comparison to the current Golf Gti, im not sure that the new GTI engine can have that much more power - 240bhp seems a little bit excessive, especially as VW don't play the 'power' game.

My source is well aware of that, however dont dote on it as he was only being prompt with the details. There is no 200bhp 2.0T remember anyway, its 197hp.

Right now the new A4 and A5 are advertised with the new EA888 modelled 2.0T with valvelift, however whether the new VW and such will get this we dont know. Remember that the A5 and A4 versions of the EA888 engine features audi's valvelift technology, something that I dont think has yet come into use for VW or SEAT. Expect it to be a audi exclusive for a little while longer.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
dunno how accurate your info is. new a3 spec the 2.0 tfsi at 200ps, except the s3 at 265ps.

a3petrol.jpg

That is the new engine isn't it?
The 1.8 TFSI is there, which IIRC is the new 2.0 with shorter con-rods.
I don't think they'd make a 1.8 of the old engine when they already have the new engine which has been tested at 1.8.

Hmm, looks like they simply cleaned up the co2 emissions on the A3 then opposed to giving it the uprated engine. My mistake.

The new engine was meant to have better emissions.

Last edited:

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
Just to make things even more confusing!

There is another version of the 2.0T just released for the A5. Based on the A5 new engine mentioned above. I think a couple of £k cheaper than the 211PS. Same CO2 (154) 180PS and same mpg

Replaces the 1.8TFSI from August - delivery at the end of this year, beginning of next if ordered now.

n_olympios

greek member

There is another version of the 2.0T just released for the A5. Based on the A5 new engine mentioned above. I think a couple of £k cheaper than the 211PS. Same CO2 (154) 180PS and same mpg

Replaces the 1.8TFSI from August - delivery at the end of this year, beginning of next if ordered now.

Yeah, and us greeks ain't too happy about it as there's a special tax on engine capacity (and it gets quite steep at about 2.0 litres and above).

Maximus2000uk

According to Autocar, and like I said on the pages previous to this one, the engine in the GTI will be the 2.0 TFSI from the A5, so 207 - 211 bhp & much cleaner emisions as a result.

Poverty

Golf audi S3 equivelant seems to be true. Audi are going to make a RS3 now to keep the chain of command. Hopefully this will se the return of the 4wd leon, and a leon cupra at that

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
According to Autocar, and like I said on the pages previous to this one.

I wasn't casting aspersions about what you said geezer - I was making a separate point as well as applying the established principles (well shown in this thread!) to pull a thread totally off its original course :p

Cupra-CY

Hi to everyone.

Looking at what they did to Ibiza back in 2006 I don't expect a lot of changes. To be more specific, in the facelifted Ibiza the front and rear bumpers were changed in all versions except the Cupra. Externally, the Cupra was left as it was. The FR got the rear bumper of the Cupra and its new front bumper was the same as the rest of the range with a bolder honeycomb grill. Coming to the interior the Ibiza Cupra got a new steering wheel and gear knob, similar to those in the current Leon Cupra. The rest of the Ibiza range also got new steering wheels, gear knobs, upholstery and dials and the Reference model also got the twin headlamps.

Having these in mind, I believe that the upcoming Leon facelift will include newly designed bumpers for the whole range (Reference, Sport, Stylance, Sport Up), but not for the FR and Cupra, as well as changes to the interior as described above. Finally, some pieces of equipment which were previously optional may become standard.

n_olympios

greek member
It may not be exactly like that. When the Ibiza got a facelift, the brand's design line was not very different. Now with the new Ibiza they're demonstrating a whole new design line, which means that when the Leon does get a facelift, it may have elements from the new Ibiza. More sharp angles, straight lines etc.

Just a speculation.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Following the rules that most mainstream models go by, the life of a model is 6 years with a facelift after about 3.

Therefore I would expect the Leon to have a facelift in the next 12 months or so and a replacement (the Mark 3) around 2010/2011.

The facelift is usually fairly cosmetic the sort of thing that Cupra-CY mentions above. Just look at the recent facelift on the Focus, nothing massive really.

By doing this it helps keep sales up. It keeps interest in the model. Many people change cars at around 3 years but they are unlikely to go out and buy an identical car. By having a few minor changes it is enough to keep up interest and perhaps tempt people to upgrade to the new spec.