Factory Fit iPod Connector Functionality

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
This question has been asked a few times, so I thought it's worth putting in the FAQ section. Please feel free to add any additonal information.

Connecting the iPod

The factory fit iPod connector is under the drivers seat on U.K cars (not sure if this is the same for other markets). The compartment has a cover so people walking past can't see that the iPod is in there.

A number of different adaptors are supplied to ensure a snug fit of your iPod into the slot. It does warn in the manual that these may scratch your iPod, although I haven't had any issues.

As far as I know the iPod shuffle can't be used with the iPod connector.

Using the iPod

The iPod is treated in the same way as a 6 disc autochanger and is operated by pressing the AUX button on the head unit. CDC will appear in the display when the iPod is playing.

You are allowed to have 5 user defined playlists and 1 which is basically play all tracks.

One tip is to number these 1 to 5 to correspond with the buttons on the head unit. Only the first 5 playlists are accessible.

The track names DO NOT appear on the display on the head unit, just the track number.

The unit only allows you to skip one track at a time, making it difficult to find tracks if the playlist contains a large number of songs.

Hope that this information is of use to people considering this option.

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Don't plug in or remove the Ipod while the Headunit is powered on... you *might* damage it. Not sure if this is true, haven't risked it though.

Sometimes it decides it won't change playlists, no matter how much you prod the buttons and that's even if you have the playlists labelled as in the first post.

One workaround I've found is to change to radio/cd mode and prod the 1-6 buttons some more then go back to Ipod. It should work again.

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
Can be annoying finding a track but if you click on the position column in iTunes you can put tracks where you like in the playlist and do get used to which number is which song, a little lame though and I was disappointed when I first tried it. However I've had no problems and I don't have to mess about with cd's anymore which is great.
Plus be aware if you opt for sat nav you have to put the sat nav disk in the head unit top use sat nav so the only way to listen to anything bar radio is a cd changer or iPod which you can get allot more songs on and change at will so it's essential really. Again a let down I felt that the maps didn't load onto a memory card.
On the sat nav unit you press CD to get the iPod playlists they come up as CD1 to 6 6 being all tracks I think on the iPod correct me if I"m wrong and it just selects from just playlists. From then on works the same.
A good tip is when you change to the iPod it will keep playing the album you were listening to when you plugged it in under the seat, a good and quick way to get to an album not on your playlists ;)

BigJim76

The latest Sat Nav units have a 30Gb hard drive in them, so all the map data is loaded onto that (Leaving 18Gb spare) meaning you can play disks and use the nav system at the same time.
A really good feature of this head unit is that it'll play dvd disks with MP3's on.
A dual layer dvd disk can hold 8.5Gb of MP3's.
I have the USB conection with my stereo, as I don't have an iPod, but it works the same way as desciribed above. Not much use IMO, when you want to navigate thru 40+ Gb of music, makes it a bit of a guessing game!
Playing MP3's from the hard drive or a CD/DVD displays track info.

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
Mine was an 07/07 delivery. It doesn't display track info from cd's encoded with text either :( Haven't seen the new ones but much better way of doing it. Aftermarket are cheaper to I just wanted it all done and didn't no the drawbacks. Expensive option for it turned out to be.

coffee_bean

I have a Jan 06 model, which appears to be before the iPod provisions... However, there is a black box under my driver seat (RHD model). Is that something I should open? It looks like the airbag electronics or something. It's covered by a flimsy plastic cover.

coffee_bean

They were my thoughts!

If you don't mind, that would be great!

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
Ok had a look forgot the other day oops. It all covered in mine with what looks like just a cover with the slot for the iPod. You could well find the wiring in there but doubt you would find the docking connection. Sorry can't be anymore help but as said it's all covered over and don't fancy mucking around with it I dare say I 'd never get it back together :lol:

coffee_bean

I have since found that the iPod connector is actually fixed to the underside of the seat, where mine appears "finished" with a blanking plate. Any ideas where the factory fitted box would be, so I can check for wires?

This silver box I found is fitted under the seat but to the floor of the car.

crashbash

I tried an ipod touch. Technically it works - a huge downside is ............... you cannot then shut the door of the storage compartment under drivers seat.:doh:

I went for an ipod classic 160 instead. All works fine as documented above but switch between cd/ipod and the volume halves. I've got used to that now.

Also JonoUK read from the doc 'Don't plug in or remove the Ipod while the Headunit is powered on... you *might* damage it. '

I read that too and didnt believe it so I was brave enough (silly enough?) to try it. I pulled my ipod out and it was fine. I have tried t again and again and its fine. (ipod playback is a readonly function like a cd with the only exception of syncing). One time the ipod froze (I just had to reset ipod).

With the ipod connected remember that it will also play the currently selected track/album, so as you walk to your car, browse your ipod music, pick what you fancy, hit play, plug in and away you go.
Very nice for th 'shiffle' (mix up my tracks) feature on the ipod.

If I could turn back the clock, I would have possibly opted for aux in for 2 reasons:

1, I didnt realise it didnt display the track names
2, Mounting under seat is pretty secure but you cant see whats playing so Im forever checking my ipod to see what that last tune was. (I guess the workaround is to run a cable from under the seat to externally mounted ipod so I can actually see the screen).

Hope it helps ya!

Bobjuana

Ipod Connectivity to Siemens 30gig Sat Nav

Hey,

Does anyone know if there is any way of upgrading the software/adaptor for ipod connectivity for the latest siemens 30 gig integrated sat nav.

I own an '08 Leon FR TDI (170) with integrated sat nav, and was alittle dissapointed with the fact that track names didn't display on the display (I don't really consider anything but to be true ipod connectivity). I've got a fair bit of music stored on the HD, but as I update my ipod regularly with new tunes - it'd be nice to see what new stuff i'm listening to!!

I've googled VW sat nav ipod track names etc, and found a few threads such as the below which imply that this is possible????

I'd appreciate any advice that anyone may be able to provide?

http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216

Found this Dension Interface on the Seat website - not sure whether this is what i'm looking for, will give my local dealership a tinkle and find out......

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/SEAT/site/Service/original-accessories/main.html:funk:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobjuana

Thanks for this, the links seem to show it working as i'd envisage it should!

Is yours working the same way?

I'd emailed my local dealership re the Dension adaptors, but no response as yet..........

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.