1. Hi Guest. Booking is now open for our national meet on Sunday 14th July - all SEATs and CUPRAs welcome - we'd love to see you there. - Find out more here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

Failed MOT - Headlamp light intensity

Discussion in 'Leon Mk2' started by chrisjgill, Apr 16, 2019.

1. chrisjgill

chrisjgill Full Member

My car has just failed it's MOT due to the nearside front headlight not having enough intensity. It's classed as severely reduced, hence the fail

I had the bulb (D1S) replaced a few weeks ago (as the headlamp had stopped working)

The replacement bulb got things working but clearly there is another fault I wasn't aware of

The testing garage have said it could be either the power module or control unit (I have part numbers for both)

Is there an easy way to check which part might be at fault?

Or would buying a full replacement headlamp do the job (assuming it comes with all required parts)?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

2. fozzybear

fozzybear middle aged speed freak

As far as i.m aware you,d still need to buy the booster thingy and bulb

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. kevo13

kevo13 Full Member

This is very similar to a problem ive got. Trouble is when i looked cheapest lights with afs n all other stuff on was nearly £500 for one unit. And i need 2 units!! . What i had considered was getting 2 cheap aftermarket units and good projector lenses and rwtrofit those but i was having trouble getting an answer from anybody if i could marry oem up with aftermarket lamps

4. martin j.

martin j. Full Member

In reply to op can you swop bits from the good side over in turn to identify the problem? Then find out which other Seats use the parts and acquire second hand. I did find out at work when needing for an mot a ballast for a Nissan it was cheaper to buy a complete lamp unit rather than just the ballast. Something about regs that mean approx 200 parts must be of a reasonable cost in order to prevent cars being written off after accidents due to popular bits being so costly.

chrisjgill likes this.
  5. chrisjgill

chrisjgill Full Member

Thanks for the replies

I have had some diagnostics run on the car and the power ballast is at fault

I've read on here of other people sourcing parts from eBay and fitting themselves

The cost is high for a genuine part

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk