Fan constantly on....

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
Hi all...new member here...I have had an.issue for my cupra 1.8T 02 plate for a while now...after driving the fan stays on constantly even after any time period. Through trial and error I have been getting by this by removing one of the fuses within the engine fuse box which cuts it out...but obviously this isn't ideal. I have spent quite abit of time reading up on other forums and have a list as long as my kids xmas list of possible causes...I was wondering if there was a common fault with this issue and if anyone could point me in a less sporadic cure lol. Any advice really appreciated.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
s-l640.jpg

As above if you mean when the engine is off, then i would suspect the fan relay module. (pictured above)

You could try tapping the module with the base of a screwdriver or similar. Usually when relays fail it's because the contacts get 'spot welded' by sparking when the contacts close, tapping gently can free them. Obviously this is just a short term measure, but it may help in finding the cause.

There are a few different part numbers depending on which car you have, so you will probably be best off removing yours and getting the right part number off of that.

http://www.oemepc.com/seat/part_sin...937/subcategory/937030/part_id/1418734/lang/e

Edit: it could also be the thermal switch that screws into the radiator, but i would suspect the relay to be far more likely.

Last edited:

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
As above if you mean when the engine is off, then i would suspect the thermal switch that is on the radiator or more likely the fan control module itself.

You should be able to test if it is the switch simply by unplugging it. If the fans still stay on then it's probably the fan control module. You could try tapping the relay module with the base of a screwdriver or similar, usually when relays feel it's because the contacts get 'spot welded' by sparking when the contacts close, tapping gently can free them. Obviously this is just a short term measure, but may help in finding the cause.
Thanks will give that a try too...I shall be testing any methods suggested over the weekend...I'm just hoping I dont have to replace the whole fan as I was informed was quite a bit...I was going to just replace the module/relay...as they aren't too pricey...

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
I’m having problems myself with overheating. I might try this option too!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks will give that a try too...I shall be testing any methods suggested over the weekend...I'm just hoping I dont have to replace the whole fan as I was informed was quite a bit...I was going to just replace the module/relay...as they aren't too pricey...

You're welcome mate.
I don't think the whole fan unit will need replacing, as far as i can think of there is no way that the fan unit could fail 'ON'

Reactions: Pickled Peachez

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I’m having problems myself with overheating. I might try this option too!

If you have overheating you should first check that you don't have the very common 'slow speed fan issue' first. This is where the resistors fail and the only speed that works is high speed. This doesn't kick in until the temp is over 100C then the fans run crazy fast.

See this thread for details on testing. https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/slow-speed-fan-problem-guide-to-fixing.331943/

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
Ok so quick update I now have the car back where I can give it some love (its actually been stored away for over a year) had to end up getting a tow part way back as a schoolboy error on my part created a fuel block in filter....but new filter and lovely fresh juice going in...fan work next week will keep you all posted :)

Reactions: bigT's lcr
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.