Fault Codes And Lack Of Speedo?

Percymama

Dec 7, 2018
Hi Guys

I had my 2011 1.6 TDi tested today to try and get to the bottom of the lack of Speedo, erratic fuel gauge, and loss of sound from both front door speakers

Codes that came back related to

"Loss Of Comms With ABS Control Mod"

"Loss Of Comms With Instrument Cluster"

I think the codes were 12000 for the ABS

And instrument cluster codes were 15500 (4 in total with same error message RE lost Comms)

I have read that a broken wire under the batter tray can be an issue that causes these things?

But I am looking for some words of wisdom for a cheap fix here :(

Garage want's the car for a whole day to try and get to the bottom of things

A used cluster (possible cause?) is under £50 but then I have been told it's not just a case of plugging another cluster in and off you go, but you need to get some things programmed if you change the cluster! is this true? or can you just swap them out?

I have tried to get the door card off to check speaker connections, but almost broke the plastic handle! and not even sure that's where that issue is, as both have gone silent, and that doesn't seem right?

Thanks in advance :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that the instrument pod contains the immobiliser or some of it, so definitely not plug and play, any changing of coding could easily be done by a VW Group Indie, which should be the only place you take your car to for diagnosing for strange but maybe well documented faults, anywhere else including a main dealer will just take your money and maybe blunder on the root cause if they have handed that job to a smart up and coming mechanic - I could be wrong and someone else will get straight to it, but dealerships are mainly down to just swopping old parts for new, they will say that they must work this way due to their high hourly labour rates, which is fait enough, but I've never found that main dealer's high labour rates equates to having a switched on tech who can get to the root cause of problems in a short time and so save you money in the end.

Percymama

Dec 7, 2018
Thanks for the response

I am trying to find a decent Seat independent here in Cornwall now

Just really hoping the little Ibiza isn't going to cost too much to put right, as it's a great car apart from the little annoyances!

Percymama

Dec 7, 2018
Well I had a local mechanic pop over and dig a bit deeper into this after getting the fault codes yesterday, and when he pulled the cluster out he found the EML light has been tapped over!

And I think he said the EGR light too but not sure (I was in shock lol)

No broken wires under the battery tray either so that's not the cheap fix I was hoping for

There does seem to be what looks like some burning residue on the plastic surrounding the Rev counter back too, no clue as to what that's all about, but maybe the Speedo gave up, and singed the back of the Rev counter?

This little bargain Ibiza is starting to get me very frustrated :(

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise