Faulty Boot Lock

aaronbromley

TDISport.com Owner
Nov 25, 2004
Lincolnshire
www.TDISport.com
It appears my bot lock mechanism seems to have given up the ghost, i cannot get into the boot at all now, even using the key in the lock manually.

What can i do? I remember it doing it a few years ago when the car was still under warranty.

No matter what i do i cant seem to get the boot to open though, no matter what combination of key presses/manuals turns etc, something just isn't clicking (so to speak).

I assume it means the boot trim needs cutting off from the inside and then opening somehow?

What would you all recommend? What could have caused this?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
It appears my bot lock mechanism seems to have given up the ghost, i cannot get into the boot at all now, even using the key in the lock manually.

What can i do? I remember it doing it a few years ago when the car was still under warranty.

No matter what i do i cant seem to get the boot to open though, no matter what combination of key presses/manuals turns etc, something just isn't clicking (so to speak).

I assume it means the boot trim needs cutting off from the inside and then opening somehow?

What would you all recommend? What could have caused this?

I have had this.

You can get in to the boot through the back seat area.

Take off the rear light covers from the inside - and remove the grab handle from the rear panel.
Using a bent coathanger - it is possible to open the boot.

When open - remove the tailgate inside trim panel completely.

Then have a look at the lock - mine had just corroded and siezed up.

Lots of anti seize grease and some manual linkage moving had the lock working again.

chuck more anti seize grease on to the mechanism and re-assemble the tailgate.

not had any more issues with mine since.

aaronbromley

TDISport.com Owner
Nov 25, 2004
Lincolnshire
www.TDISport.com
Thanks, i will give that a try tomorrow if i get chance, how hard was it to open with a coat hanger?
I can see myself sat there for ages dangling a bit of metal wire in. Is the part i need to pull with the coat hanger visible once i remove the grab handle?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thanks, i will give that a try tomorrow if i get chance, how hard was it to open with a coat hanger?
I can see myself sat there for ages dangling a bit of metal wire in. Is the part i need to pull with the coat hanger visible once i remove the grab handle?

Depending how big your hands are - you may be able to reach the lock pull bar through the grab handle hole.

If like me - your hands are like plates of meat - a mirror and a torch will help to see what your doing.

It did take me around 15 mins of buggering around after the panels had been removed.

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
At least your not in my shoes mate my boot is currently being held closed by bungee chords :lol: we replaced the mechanism last week found one in a scrappies for £20 but then realised my boot catch was stuck in the open position so a further £17 to pay ordered the boot catch from sere motors hoping it will come tomorrow so we can fix it on saturday

aaronbromley

TDISport.com Owner
Nov 25, 2004
Lincolnshire
www.TDISport.com
I have used that guide before a few months ago, but obviously with the boot stuck closed i cant get access to some of the screws, it does appear the interior handle does come out, but seems really stiff/stuck, i am worried about breaking something to be honest. Damn hard work climbing around in the boot!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I have used that guide before a few months ago, but obviously with the boot stuck closed i cant get access to some of the screws, it does appear the interior handle does come out, but seems really stiff/stuck, i am worried about breaking something to be honest. Damn hard work climbing around in the boot!

Mine took quite a tug to release the handle.

If you are careful - you can prise the complete panel away from the top near the glass and reach down to the lock.

Yes - climbing around in the boot is a real PITA

aaronbromley

TDISport.com Owner
Nov 25, 2004
Lincolnshire
www.TDISport.com
Manage to get the handle out with brute force. I had no idea where to reach to find the boot unlock cable really. I will try and search for images. Does anyone have any to hand?
As I thought my hands are too fat to fit :-(

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Had quite a few of these in recently.

I climb in through the rear seats, pop the parcel shelf up to let a bit more light in, remove the T20 screws behind the bulb panels, remove the T20 in the grab handle. The take the top of the panel and pull out. You can then get your hand in the top and pull the release lever opening the boot.

aaronbromley

TDISport.com Owner
Nov 25, 2004
Lincolnshire
www.TDISport.com
All fixed now, I did as suggested and pulled back the boot trim enough for me to get my hand down the top and pull the release.
Once the boot was opened I took the trim off totally and played with the mechanism a bit, sprayed it all with WD40 and now it appears to all be working fine. (Probably will go wrong again once boot trim has been fitted back on).

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
All fixed now, I did as suggested and pulled back the boot trim enough for me to get my hand down the top and pull the release.
Once the boot was opened I took the trim off totally and played with the mechanism a bit, sprayed it all with WD40 and now it appears to all be working fine. (Probably will go wrong again once boot trim has been fitted back on).

Glad to hear.

If i have caught you before you put the trim back on - get youself some aluminium anti seize grease and put it all over the mechanism.

You can get it from heine gerecke shops under the wurth brand in small sachets for about 50p a sachet. - brilliant stuff and much better than coppaslip.

WD40 is great for releasing the stiffness in the mechanism but crap at preventing it happening again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members