Faulty Electrics (immobiliser issue)

Apr 14, 2011
I just tried to do the first two row of the ones under the speedo, goin to try again, how do I get the needles of the gauges off ?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I just tried to do the first two row of the ones under the speedo, goin to try again, how do I get the needles of the gauges off ?

To remove the needles, take a photo first and mark where the needles "home" position is. Then gently turn the needle against its natural direction the needle would normally move during operation, and gently pulling and they'll come off. Basically they just a push fit, just delicate.

johnexeter

Ibiza TDi 130bhp Immob fault

Hi all, I have an intermitant immobiliser fault with my car, sometimes the key light flashes and the car will only run for a second then cut out. Upto now it has always started if left for a while. I've heard alot about dash faults causing this, but all my gauges work fine! Any advice would be much appreciated??

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
Hi all, I have an intermitant immobiliser fault with my car, sometimes the key light flashes and the car will only run for a second then cut out. Upto now it has always started if left for a while. I've heard alot about dash faults causing this, but all my gauges work fine! Any advice would be much appreciated??

your immobiliser can fail without any gauge problems,mine failed and was bypassed 3 years ago but my gauges are still fine (for now:whistle:)

u need it re soldered check the threads about it,if you get completely stranded pressing down hard with your thumb just above the 120mph mark on the speedo and turning the ignition at the same time has been known to get it working.

cowtc

Yep same here, my dash gauges have all been fine. The soldering has fixed my issue. You'll have to read this whole thread from the beginning as it shows you exactly how to fix it -it's worth it though

Seatleon92112

If i disconnect the dash cluster and re insert it, would it work as normal or do i have to get it re programmed

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
If i disconnect the dash cluster and re insert it, would it work as normal or do i have to get it re programmed

It'll work as normal, just make sure it's plugged in properly and making proper contact before you turn the ignition on, else you get some errors logged and possibly an airbag light.

Seatleon92112

Thankyou bondiblu, i have done what you have said in the thread about the cluster soldier and the car start now first time, the only thing is that the lights for the immobiliser and the windscreen wash remain on in dim, on occasions the immobiliser light flashes for a while, but the engine starts, any idea how to rectifie this issue

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Thankyou bondiblu, i have done what you have said in the thread about the cluster soldier and the car start now first time, the only thing is that the lights for the immobiliser and the windscreen wash remain on in dim, on occasions the immobiliser light flashes for a while, but the engine starts, any idea how to rectifie this issue

Did you resolder ALL the pins?

Seatleon92112

hi there all the pins on the green holder looked not to be dry, but pin 1 and 17 were slightly dry so soldered on top of it

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
hi there all the pins on the green holder looked not to be dry, but pin 1 and 17 were slightly dry so soldered on top of it

Personally I'd have soldered the whole lot because it's hard to visually capture all dry joints or hairline cracks in the solder especially if you did it without removing the dials, and because it such low voltages, it won't take much to disrupt signals.

Seatleon92112

did not realise, would you also say the key reader might be faulty

the_fbi

'05 Fabia vRS
Jun 14, 2004
Northamptonshire
I'd say that suggests a short between the pins relating to the immob and screen wash, are they close or opposite ends of the connector?

Also, I know when I did mine, I didn't quite reseat the connector onto the back of the cluster properly (its got a weird over centre latch jobby as you know) and it wasn't quite locked into place.

You can just unclip and reseat if you put your arm up the coin tray (the one which has the odbc socket behind) hole after removing the coin tray.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I'd say that suggests a short between the pins relating to the immob and screen wash, are they close or opposite ends of the connector?

Also, I know when I did mine, I didn't quite reseat the connector onto the back of the cluster properly (its got a weird over centre latch jobby as you know) and it wasn't quite locked into place.

You can just unclip and reseat if you put your arm up the coin tray (the one which has the odbc socket behind) hole after removing the coin tray.

Good suggestion !

Mar 25, 2009
bath
cheers guys, just done this tonight as my fuel gauge stopped working and had the coolant beeping at me loads. i stripped it out completely and took the dials off and re-soldered every pin just to make sure. took me about 2 hours in total and that includes removing/refitting it under torch light. time will tell as to whether the beeping is cured as it was intermittent

was a rather scary experience
dash.jpg

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
does look scary indeed,hope it sorts it :) if or should i say when mine goes not sure i would be brave enough as i would lose or break something....

Mar 25, 2009
bath
does look scary indeed,hope it sorts it :) if or should i say when mine goes not sure i would be brave enough as i would lose or break something....

its actually really easy mate. the only annoying bit i found was removing and re-attaching the needles

Mar 19, 2010
I've successfully done mine but fuel gauge is still all over. All I can assume is the tank sender is finished or.... My dash is beyond fix. Is it possible to get custom fuel gauges separate ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.