Faulty Electrics (immobiliser issue)

Mar 25, 2009
bath
I've successfully done mine but fuel gauge is still all over. All I can assume is the tank sender is finished or.... My dash is beyond fix. Is it possible to get custom fuel gauges separate ?

When I put mine back in the first time the fuel gauge was shot, took it back out and resoldered every pin again and the small disc bits next to them and it's all working mate

Apr 14, 2011
got a second hand dash fitted in mine and now that's got just the immobiliser problem. thanks god it says bout the 120 mph thing on here :) got two weeks of at end of December so goin to use the piks on here to have another go at resoldering and hope it works this time

j.18

Hi guys first post here,

I have a 2004 Ibiza tdi 130 sport, the last few weeks the car will be dead when i try to start, other times it cranks over first time no problems and never cuts back out as described by others.... i have not got the immobiliser light on the dash but i do keep getting the traction control, hand brake light and the brake assist light popping up certain times it starts...!

The warning lights pop up and i get 4-5 alarm sounds....my question is do you think i have the same dash problem as described in this thread????

Many thanks, j.18

j.18

I've got an 02 TDI 130 Pd. Recently I've started getting some random electrical faults. Fuel gauge works erratically, immobiliser warning light came on the other night. Had to get out, lock and then unlock to get the car started. Climate control is also playing up and working erratically giving me a reading of -10 the other night and blasting hot air in. Oil temp gauge back light flashing constantly, trip computer giving stupid figures, like 2000 mile to fill up.

These all seem to be happening at the same time. Any idea's??? I hope the ECU is not packing in.

hi mate new here just wondering if my situation might be the dash problem?

I have a 2004 Ibiza tdi 130 sport, the last few weeks the car will be dead when i try to start, other times it cranks over first time no problems and never cuts back out as described by others.... i have not got the immobiliser light on the dash but i do keep getting the traction control, hand brake light and the brake assist light popping up certain times it starts...!

The warning lights pop up and i get 4-5 alarm sounds....my question is do you think i have the same dash problem as described in this thread????

Many thanks, j.18

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
It could well be issues with the dash, though its hard to be sure. I'd suggest running a diagnostics on the car, and go from there. You could have a brake specific problem too??

Last edited:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Quick question, is it possible to blank out the check engine light on the dash? I had my egr blanked off when I had a new turbo fitted and cant afford to have it mapped out.

Read something here that talks about removing a pin from the connector block although on a different car

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=277453

If you need to do it on the cheap, I wouldn't make any permanent changes like cutting wires etc Strip the clocks and put some black insulation tape over the LED, or just put up with the warning light.

james631

Feb 27, 2010
Pontypridd South Wales
If you need to do it on the cheap, I wouldn't make any permanent changes like cutting wires etc Strip the clocks and put some black insulation tape over the LED, or just put up with the warning light.

Been like it for the last 8 months and starting a nursing degree next year means I wont be able to afford it for quite some time :/

So I would have to strip the dash right down including taking the clocks apart to get to the LED?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
How ever you do it, you'll need to periodically check for faults if you can't see the MIL. Are you wanting to get rid for any particular reason?

james631

Feb 27, 2010
Pontypridd South Wales
Its just really starting to annoy me now being on there. Guess its the same reason people pay to map the light out.

I wouldn't know now if a fault happened anyway as its perminently lit

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Its just really starting to annoy me now being on there. Guess its the same reason people pay to map the light out.

I wouldn't know now if a fault happened anyway as its perminently lit

I thought you may have concerns about MOT or something. Anyway, just find a way of covering the LED. If I HAD to do it this way, I'd remove the clocks, strip them down and cover the LED, but I'm sure there's more ways of accomplishing the task.

james631

Feb 27, 2010
Pontypridd South Wales
I thought you may have concerns about MOT or something. Anyway, just find a way of covering the LED. If I HAD to do it this way, I'd remove the clocks, strip them down and cover the LED, but I'm sure there's more ways of accomplishing the task.

They did ask about it during the service / most but when I explained they didn't ask any more questions and passed it. Could have just been a lenient tester I suppose!

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go over the Easter half term

sheep

May 12, 2010
Oxfordshire
i have striped out my dash, and got the circuit board out, which side of the board gets resoldered, the side with all the plugs etc, or the other side of the board?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
i have striped out my dash, and got the circuit board out, which side of the board gets resoldered, the side with all the plugs etc, or the other side of the board?

The pins for the green connector need reflowing. So the connector, is on the back of the PCB behind the speedo, the pins are on the front of the PCB behind the speedo plastics/ dial.

piazzaboy

Ive stripped out the clocks twice now, once a few months ago to fix the immobiliser problem then again last week when my revs and fuel guage started playing up so soldered all the joints.

Alls fine now except the clock backlights stay on after the key is out of the ignition. Guessing ive soldered two joints together, anyone have a similar problem or know which ones?

Cheers

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Ive stripped out the clocks twice now, once a few months ago to fix the immobiliser problem then again last week when my revs and fuel guage started playing up so soldered all the joints.

Alls fine now except the clock backlights stay on after the key is out of the ignition. Guessing ive soldered two joints together, anyone have a similar problem or know which ones?

Cheers

when you say you resoldered all the joints, do you mean all the joints on the back of the green connector, or ALL the joints on the board? Because looking at the pin labels, I can't see how soldering the joints on the connector would affect the backlighting. As far as I'm aware, the backlighting is dealt with on the other connector (BLACK power connector). Power is directed through this when the light switch is turned to either side lights or headlights.

piazzaboy

Yep all the ones on the board, not the pin/connector. Ah thanks for that, ill have a look at the other connector, need to strip it down again anyway, revs started playing up on the way home again tonight, got a shock for a second when i looked down and it was all the way into the red

pete34a

Jan 9, 2009
oh dear the immobiliser issue just happened to me again after filling up at a petrol station with big queues behind :help:

Luckily I remembered Pete5956's message on the 'annoying intermittent immobiliser fault' thread and pressed the 120mph point on the speedo whilst putting the key in and it worked! Glad I've found a quick fix and now know for definite it does need soldering to fix it.

Wonder how many times I can keep pressing the 120mph when it happens to quick fix it :blink:

I've started having the immobilser problem on my 2002 tdi130 :censored:

Reading this on my iphone saved me the other day. Thank god for SCN! Pushing against the 120mph point got the car started. Since then it has been happening almost daily, but pushing against 120mph gets it started. Will this continue to work indefinitely?

I won't have time to get the clocks out any time soon. Is it possible to override the immobiliser?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2011
No it wornt ! Mine lasted bout 6 months but it gets worse anf worse ! And it will get even harder to start when its warm

pete34a

Jan 9, 2009
I just had the clocks out. Resoldered all 32 connectors. The worst bit is taking the needles off the clocks but it really is worth taking the speedo off and resoldering all connections properly. I put it all back together, reconnected the battery and everything seems ok. Immobiliser isn't kicking in for first few starts. Time will tell if it's fixed for good.

Very awkward job made less scary by this forum. Thanks all for the advice, without which we'd all be "flying solo" and giving too much £££ to the stealers!!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.