Faulty Rear Wiper

Bastonian

I've got a 2001 1.9 TDI S Alhambra with a rear wiper that does not want to function. I have taken the back panel of to test that power was getting through and it was. Also when I tested the green lead on the motor it functioned fine so I am guessing there is some kind of delay module or similar failing. The water squirter is working fine. Does anyone have any ideas on where the delay/switch is?

Check the condition of the cables in the rubber bellows where they pass from the main body to the hatch?
the cables harden and fail due the constant flexing from when the hatch is opened and closed, this can cause a few problems with the rear wiper and lights in the hatch
other wise yours has a GEM panel, this is in several levels, IIRC the rear wiper relay/timer is in the second level? never had the pleasure of taking one of these apart :blink: IIRC you need a Torx bit?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
fredt said:
Check the condition of the cables in the rubber bellows where they pass from the main body to the hatch?

That would be my first port of call also after checking the fuses.

Bastonian

Spot on

fredt said:
the cables harden and fail due the constant flexing from when the hatch is opened and closed, this can cause a few problems with the rear wiper and lights in the hatch
other wise yours has a GEM panel, this is in several levels, IIRC the rear wiper relay/timer is in the second level? never had the pleasure of taking one of these apart :blink: IIRC you need a Torx bit?

Many thanks. The cables had split under the rubber bellows. All fixed now. Still have a problem with condensation on the front screen but by some of the threads on various forums this seems a comon problem.

See if the pollen filter is damp? check to see if there is a build up of water in the area below the pollen filter? if so it could be the scuttle drains are blocked! which can cause a cabin flood!
if you use the AC switch it off before you completeing your journey to give the moisture on the condensor time to evaporate, also check the carpet in the passenger side foot well? the rear washer jet pipe is known to leak in this area and cause condensation!

Bastonian

Where do I locate the pollen filter?

fredt said:
See if the pollen filter is damp? check to see if there is a build up of water in the area below the pollen filter? if so it could be the scuttle drains are blocked! which can cause a cabin flood!
if you use the AC switch it off before you completeing your journey to give the moisture on the condensor time to evaporate, also check the carpet in the passenger side foot well? the rear washer jet pipe is known to leak in this area and cause condensation!

I checked both foot wells and they appear dry so no flood yet! Where do i find the pollen filter. I've read that on some Seat's its located near the glove box. Am I warm or is it under the bonnet somewhere?

Cheers for all of your help.

Bastonian

Found the water

The water was under the passenger seat. I think it must be from the water pipe feeding the rear wiper, although I can't actually see the pipe. I'll look again once it gets lite.

Cheers once again.

Pop the bonnet, on the passenger side under the windscreen behind the wiper mech, to get to it, if you need to change it, you need to remove the scuttle tray/sound deadener, three bolts, operate the wipers till they sit vertical on the screen and switch off the ignition so they stay vertical, this moves the linkage out the way :)
but you can see it or get a hand to it to check it's dry without stripping down the engine bay :) on some models there are a couple of sponge/foam filters in the corners of the scuttle, these are an attempt to stop the drain holes blocking! if these are gummed up with crap! leaves etc they can hold moisture which can get sucked into the cabin via the pollen filter :( so check these and clean if required?

Bastonian said:
The water was under the passenger seat. I think it must be from the water pipe feeding the rear wiper, although I can't actually see the pipe. I'll look again once it gets lite.

Cheers once again.

the pipe is up under the section of trim by the A post, it then goes along the sill under the trim panel by the doors, does it look like, smell, or taste like washer fluid?
if its plain water check the floor heater outlet on the gear box in the passenger foot well for signs of water? also check the sound proofing under the lower glove box? if the scuttle drains block the water builds up and gets sucked in though the pollen filter :( flooding the fan houseing, depending on how high the water level was it the drains out through the heater outlet on the passenger side and gets under the carpets into the sound proofing and then into the cubby hole under the seat :( your lucky yours is a post 98 model as pre 98 had the central locking/alarm ECU under the seat which isnt happy in water :cry: mind you if you reverseing sensors you may have the ECU for those under there! so check it's ok and dry?

Bastonian

Washer fluid

Its definately washer fluid. Many thanks. I'll take the trim of at the weekend and see if i can trace the source.

Many Thanks for all your advice. Youv'e saved me a lot of hastle and money at the garage.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
fredt said:
your lucky yours is a post 98 model as pre 98 had the central locking/alarm ECU under the seat which isnt happy in water

Now that isnt funny, lost count how many Alhambras I used to get in with windows working randomly and unlocking on ther own..lol

techie said:
Now that isnt funny, lost count how many Alhambras I used to get in with windows working randomly and unlocking on ther own..lol

First time it happened to us was when the wife thought she'd do us a favour and put the car through the car wash :) only to find that when it misted up and she stuck the fan on full speed the passenger footwell suddenly filled up with cold soapy water :wtf: I check the scuttle drain once a month now but she wont put it through the car wash :shrug: which means muggins here has to hand wash it :censored:

Bastonian

fredt said:
First time it happened to us was when the wife thought she'd do us a favour and put the car through the car wash :) only to find that when it misted up and she stuck the fan on full speed the passenger footwell suddenly filled up with cold soapy water :wtf: I check the scuttle drain once a month now but she wont put it through the car wash :shrug: which means muggins here has to hand wash it :censored:

How do you access the scutte drains? :shrug: I had a look at the path that rain water would flow and it looks like it needs cleaning out but the grill over the wiper linkage makes it difficult to get in there.

When you look into the engine bay you can see a black shaped section of plastic sound proofing located above the engine fixed to the scuttle below the windscreen :blink: there are three bolts holding this in place, one central and one at either end, remove these
now the scuttle tray will pull out :confused: it will need wiggling and twisting to get it out in order to miss the coolant bottle and engine shrouds etc
with this out the way you can now gain access to the drain holes :) located in the rear of the scuttle are behind the top mounts
if you dont have the sponge filters? you just need to clear the majority of the debri out of the drain holes and see if they flow any better?
the drains empty into the area behind the wheel arch liners, the drivers side one on petrol models is covered by the carbon canister :( v which means it's prone to blocking more :wtf: I find that blowing them out with a hose helps to keep them clear :D

Bastonian

Wiper Fuses

Well,
I fixed the wiper by reconnecting the lead that had perrished and found the washer pipe had come lose and fixed that. I even started drying the car out and then guess what happens. The wiper stops working. I checked the fuse but I have a suspicion that there maybe another fuse. I can remember when the stero stopped working it was a small fuse not the main one. Does any one know which fuses are linked to the rear wiper before I pull each on out 1 by 1(thet are so fiddly).

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.