Finishing a smoothed airbox

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
jetsetjimbo said:
Cheers - They are pretty much the same, at least all the dimensions are the same. There's an extra outlet on the MAF side of the TT one which'll have to be blocked up.

You got me worried there... there is actually screws in both holes but I started to think that I'd already lost one...

have a hunt about fella! im sure u'l find it! ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
CupraTgirl said:
I dont think they do a BMC for the Ibiza do they? Where can you get them from as i was looking at that route?

james (cu5ra) has a BMC CDA in his cupra beeza! :yes:

they do universal sizes so u can get one for ur car... have a word with him!

i know my m8 with a polo GTi has one... u prob need the same kit?!

as for where u can get one from... i know carnoisseur does them, cos i told nicky(ice maiden) to go there, and she did yesterday! :yes:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Ruddmeister said:
Fine on the inlet side cos that's what the filter is designed to stop ;)

Good key needed though

yea i know that, but u still need to smooth the top half of the box (where theres no filter!) ;)

also if it did crack up and flake off it would be making the air flow less efficient! :(

would mean u would have to cheak every so often!

just use elbow grease peeps and smooth ur boxes! ;) :yes:

even if u did use filler, think of the time that would take to do that! u may aswell just smooth is with sandpaper!

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
J@mes said:
james (cu5ra) has a BMC CDA in his cupra beeza! :yes:

they do universal sizes so u can get one for ur car... have a word with him!

i know my m8 with a polo GTi has one... u prob need the same kit?!

as for where u can get one from... i know carnoisseur does them, cos i told nicky(ice maiden) to go there, and she did yesterday! :yes:

I think i will do that

Thank you ;)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
J@mes said:
yea i know that, but u still need to smooth the top half of the box (where theres no filter!) ;)

also if it did crack up and flake off it would be making the air flow less efficient! :(

would mean u would have to cheak every so often!

just use elbow grease peeps and smooth ur boxes! ;) :yes:

even if u did use filler, think of the time that would take to do that! u may aswell just smooth is with sandpaper!

Believe it was tried and tested with logs etc on Vortex or CGTi and worked very well...........Feel may know where it was.......must be 2 year + ago now :think:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Ruddmeister said:
Believe it was tried and tested with logs etc on Vortex or CGTi and worked very well...........Feel may know where it was.......must be 2 year + ago now :think:

i do believe it works rudd its just i would never do it! i mean y when in the same if not less time u can make it smooth with sandpaper! ;)

i did before and after logs my way and got a 3% increase in airflow! :yes:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I would take a guess that smoothing the top (filtered side) of the box is far more important than the bottom. I'd think there's a good 'reservoir' of air underneath the filter (especially if the box has a good feed) - it's getting out of the box that's important.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
DPJ said:
I would take a guess that smoothing the top (filtered side) of the box is far more important than the bottom. I'd think there's a good 'reservoir' of air underneath the filter (especially if the box has a good feed) - it's getting out of the box that's important.

the top part of the box doesnt take much sanding at all! can be done in about 30 - 45mins! as apposed to a good 3 hours for the bottom half! :blink:

edit: other way round! :redface:

top part takes ages to sand, bottom is easy!

Last edited:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
jaybeee said:
What kind of difference did this make James? Truly noticeable or more placebo?

And can the smoothing of the standard airbox be done? and will it result in similar gains?

ever so SLIGHTLY noticable... more top of the rev range!

wat u mean can the smoothing of the standard airbox be done????? :confused: :shrug:

thats wat i did! :doh: ;)

i also fitted a green pannel filter and fitted a 100mm heavy duty green cold air feed (with the help of feel's battery relocation brakets! ;))

jaybeee

[e]
Feb 24, 2006
Belfast
www.metalrhino.com
J@mes said:
ever so SLIGHTLY noticable... more top of the rev range!
Ok thanks

J@mes said:
wat u mean can the smoothing of the standard airbox be done????? :confused: :shrug:
thats wat i did! :doh: ;)
Cool. Thought so, was just checking

J@mes said:
i also fitted a green pannel filter and fitted a 100mm heavy duty green cold air feed (with the help of feel's battery relocation brakets! ;))
Think I'm gonna do the same, but not the new feed or battery relocation. Too much effort :p

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
:shrug: I think it's for TT forum members ;) I don't think they'll mind - one more person in on the group buy is one step closer to everyone benefitting...

If you're worried about sizes etc, give 'em a ring.

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Feel said:
:shrug: I think it's for TT forum members ;) I don't think they'll mind - one more person in on the group buy is one step closer to everyone benefitting...

If you're worried about sizes etc, give 'em a ring.

I will see if they give me a response! It may even be cheaper for my car?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
jaybeee said:
Ok thanks

Cool. Thought so, was just checking

Think I'm gonna do the same, but not the new feed or battery relocation. Too much effort :p

the new cold air feed is the most effective part IMHO!

the standard feed is soooooooo tiny (you couldnt fit ur d*ck inside it! :lol: )

my feed...

53400035.jpg

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
That looks like one of those games where you are blindfolded and you have to put your hand in and pick something out and then guess what it is :lol:

They did one like that on The Crystal Maze where you put you hand into these big gloves and move them around to do the game...ANYWAY :whistle:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise