First few days with my LCR 210

jcborden

Picked up a 2003 LCR 210 in black on Wednesday and was sad to see my classic scooby (uk turbo) go in part exchange. Loved the scoob, but was string to show its age...

I must be doing something wrong in the LCR as I have just done a 100 mile round trip and averaged 36MPG - I was taking it steady as the wife and kids were in the car, but even so that is pretty damn good!

Some brief thoughts on the differences between the cars:
LCR does look lovely! Liked the classic scoob but in a rough and ready sort of way where as the LCR is pretty.

Performance is actually quite tricky, the scoob was pretty quick to 60 but seemed slower in the 50+ speed ranges. The engine noise (once the car was warm) was addictive where as the LCR is very quiet and refined. Being AWD there was always perfect forwards drive with your foot down and never any evidence of torque steer. Getting used to the LCR will take a while with the foot to the floor feeling of the steering which can pull a little especially on uneven roads.

Build quality of the LCR seems pretty good, nice solid thunk to the doors rather than the rattle of the scoob. And the brakes - what can I say, excellent brembos on the LCR and not quite so excellent 4 pots on the scoob (1/2 brembos they were referred to...). Very sharp and confidence inspiring.

Finally the ride - pretty firm and a little bit harsh on bumpy roads that the scoob would soak up pretty well - I know I'll get used to it in time.

If it sounds like I miss the scoob that would be because I do... I have very fond memories, most likely through rose tinted glasses, forgetting all the little things that annoyed me (such as the remote not always working due to interference, the horrible knocking noises it made with a cold engine...).

And to finish I have a question - I'm trying to remove the gear gaiter surround but can only find details for the ibiza - and this shows 3 clips that you are supposed to be able to reach by getting your fingers under the surround - this is impossible on the LCR as the gaiter is pretty tight. Can someone let me know the secret?

If you managed to read this far, then thanks and I'll try to keep future posts shorter.

James

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Nice choice of colour mate. The surround is held in with some clips, if you're carefull anoth with a small flat head screw driver you can prise if off.

JamJay

California Bound
Get it remapped and you'll never look back at the scooby. I have a friend with a 2002 Bug Eye 215bhp version. It was close when the 210 was standard but now it's remapped, it's no contest...he's rather jealous :D

1.8T's are a great engine for tuning :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.