First Post & First Thoughts

rclarke

Just thought I would introduce myself to these forums:

I had been driving a Fiat Punto HGT for 5 years but at nearly 70,000 miles I thought it time for a change, especially as I had to replace the variator during the 60,000 service at the grand cost of £666 … could this be a sign of things to come and more big bills? As most of our family drive Fiats (due to their employee purchase scheme), I had no intention of changing, however there isn’t currently a “sporty” offering in the Grande Punto line so that forced me to look elsewhere.

One copy of Top Gear magazine and lots of Googling later ended up with me standing in Humphris of Oxford looking at a Leon 2.0 T FSI FR. After considering all the optional extras I decided to go for just the Zenith grey metallic paint and Bluetooth kit, especially as I spend 2 hours a day in my car mostly talking on the phone. So a good deal was struck and approx 2 weeks later we went to pick up the new car. The excitement was somewhat dampened by the fact that the dealer had forgotten to install the Bluetooth kit. The Sales guy was very apologetic and offered me a free first service as compensation. Unfortunately they only have one mechanic that can fit these kits and he was on holiday so I have had to book it in at a later date. Another disappointment was the special “discourtesy” light which was fitted to my Leon. The centre position on the switch does not work so the courtesy light is either always on or always off. Hopefully this will get fixed at the same time the Bluetooth is fitted. One very nice touch by the dealer was that they put original Seat mats in the car for free and gave my partner a bouquet of flowers.

So I must admit that first impressions (I have only done 300 miles) of the Leon FR are a little mixed. I love the looks of the car and all the gadgets, however I am not convinced with the layout of the dials and general visibility. With all these damn speed cameras around I like to know that I am doing 30mph in a 30 zone, however the lower speeds on the speedo are somewhat tucked out of sight so I find myself spending more time straining to see the speedo rather than looking at the road ahead. Maybe I just need to adjust my driving position to suit, but I have tried that already.

Also having to drive around like an old age pensioner on strong sedatives while running in the engine doesn’t help with the whole experience. I’m sure that once the first 1000km are out the way I will start to enjoy the car a whole lot more when I can roam over the self imposed 3000rpm limit. By the way, is it normal for a petrol FR to make a very distinctive “brrrrmmm” noise when slowing down in a high gear? It’s not a particularly worrying noise, it just sounds like the car is growling.

My partner loves the new Leon and is now seriously considering trading in her Punto Sporting for an Ibiza. Lets see how many others in the family we can convert. ;)

Rod.

scoobysnax

Apr 29, 2003
Macclesfield
Visit site
Dial position

Having come from a 2003 leon Cupra with the white dials, I still can't get used to the new layout on my TFSi 2.0 I miss the white sporty look and whereas 4K revs was at the top of the white dial, I used it as a marker to change gear, now 5K is nearer the top and I find myself mentally reminding myself to change.

And if they can work out average speed for the MFD, why not show the current speed in digitial ala the Civic. how cool would that be?

rclarke

Now that would be an excellent idea, the MFD displaying current speed. Something tells me that it would be possible with a firmware update :D, but what are the chances of it happening :(.

Rod.

rclarke

I have read that, but the dealer strongly advised me not to stray too far over 3000rpm for the first 1000km :(. Quite interestingly the manual just says do not exceed 3 quarters of maximum speed (approx 105mph), which sounds better ;).

Rod.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
haha, just shows dealers don't have a clue. Mine said doesnt need running in at all??

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
I've run it in balow 3k rpm, always recommended to reduce oil consumption and give longer overal enginel life. Which reminds me, I checked the oil at the weekend and its down by 1/3, must get some oil. Done 1500 miles.

What is standard oil on a FR TFSI?

I don't think running in is required for the desisal, thrash the hell out of it!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you should add - with the caveat 'once warmed up properly' which most people can't do

equally - common sense tells you to run it gently for a while.

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
OK Andy, I'm not sure I believe you :) but the turbo part sounds plausible.

We've done 500 miles (it's a FR TDI) without razzing it (no more than 3.5K...) or putting it under too much load. We're near the 1000Km mark that Seat recommend anyway so time to start going a little quicker.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
By the way, is it normal for a petrol FR to make a very distinctive “brrrrmmm” noise when slowing down in a high gear? It’s not a particularly worrying noise, it just sounds like the car is growling.

Think mine does this too mate!

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Have to say now I have seen the new sporty Leons in the flesh actually driving round they are growing on me. Still very disappointed with the cupra but there you go, saw an FR with some graphite colour alloys drive past a few weeks a go and it did stand out. Trouble is it quite possibly could have been the cupra and to be honest I wouldn't be able to tell any more.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members