Fitted a DTUK chip on my ibiza cupra tdi

Bignod00

Nov 9, 2009
Lincoln/40,000 ft.
Yeah, the revs fly up but it doesn't go any faster. It's not too bad at the moment but I've had it in 3rd - 6th.

Gutted mate, that sucks! Unfortunately thats exactly what happened to my car. Started off not too bad but got progressively worse. Ended up taking the DTUK box off but then on a drive from Inverness to Portsmouth (600+ miles) :cry: the clutch literally died on me. Went to JKM performance to get a Sachs Performance Clutch fitted and they showed me my old clutch, and it was literally polished! Hopefully you've caught yours in time tho!

Just make sure you follow the instructions...

Make sure the car is at operating temperature (90) and that you give it time to calibrate. Also, if you are changing the power setting, always return it to zero before altering the map. (all info I got from the company on the phone)

I'm on map 4, which is a smoother map that seems to be spread across the rev range a bit more. I've also upped the power a bit, and it seems perfect for me. I tend not to rag the car but my daily drive sometimes requires quick overtakes on a busy A road, so it's perfect for that!

Map 1 seemed to deliver the power/torque more aggressively and then tail off quicker. Didn't like this as much!

Thanks a lot for the info mate, its really appreciated! Im still on the map the box arrived on but have altered the power setting up 1 notch. Was thinking about trying another notch but dont know if I should!:whistle:
Im still unsure as to the different maps tho as the instructions that came with my box dont tie in with the jumper switch settings! The setting it arrived on isnt even on the diagrams!:headhurt:
Think I may just phone them up and quiz them a bit, your probably getting fed up TRYING to help me!;)

Last edited:

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah give them a call. The guy Andy (I think) is sound, he'll help you no doubt. I'm no expert but if you need anymore help, let me know.

The instructions are not the best, as they are clearly not strictly UK!

javorb

clutch slip

as someone who has sold tuning units for over 6 years ,i can honestly say that clutch slip is caused by a poor tuning box map ,no point in getting loads of torque if your standard car cant take it .i have just recently purchased a unit from a new supplier for my own 130hp alhambra and i can honestly say that the design/performance of the digital unit i bought is a step up from what i thought were good units that i mainly sold on ebay for 6 years.the unit adds 25% hp/torque and has 2 adjustments ,power can be adjusted to come in lower or higher up the revs and obviously more or less power.as someone who has tried remap and tuning units i can have a good idea of the advantages of both and yes tuning units have come along way since the fuel temp sensor ones.i have stated before that i am so impressed i am going to start selling on ebay again .:D

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
as someone who has sold tuning units for over 6 years ,i can honestly say that clutch slip is caused by a poor tuning box map ,no point in getting loads of torque if your standard car cant take it .

I'd have to disagree with you there - I had a Revo remap on my Leon cupra tdi and the standard clutch only lasted 3 months. It was a great remap but I used to boot it every-where and the standard clutch just couldn't cope - if I had been a bit more careful with the extra power I might not have had any problems.

javorb

I'd have to disagree with you there - I had a Revo remap on my Leon cupra tdi and the standard clutch only lasted 3 months. It was a great remap but I used to boot it every-where and the standard clutch just couldn't cope - if I had been a bit more careful with the extra power I might not have had any problems.
a good remap or tuning unit will not chew a clutch up in 3 months unless it was on its way out anyway ,the cutch slips when there is too much power around the peak power point ,and you claim you had a 'good map' .a good map or tuning unit should not cost you more money in bits to rebuild your car due to too poorly distributed power gains

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
a good remap or tuning unit will not chew a clutch up in 3 months unless it was on its way out anyway ,the cutch slips when there is too much power around the peak power point ,and you claim you had a 'good map' .a good map or tuning unit should not cost you more money in bits to rebuild your car due to too poorly distributed power gains

Surely the most stress on the clutch is at peak torque?

javorb

Surely the most stress on the clutch is at peak torque?

yes most stress is at peak torque but a good map should back off slightly at peak power,a good tuning unit/map should give gains through out the full rev range

Bower

yeah

my 1.4 has one on, but its not been on long,
dont know what there on about with improved fuel consumption though, maby if you drive like a an old woman you might see some benefits.

no smoke at all !
obviously if you installed it not following instructions your car would run like arse
on map 4 standard power setting (what it came shipped on )

smooth strong power all the way through the rev range
im pleased with it, its a very sharp peice of kit, very professional presentation and production wise but it wants to be for how much it cost. these kits are actually dte units and dtuk are the uk distro for them (i read this somewhere on another forum)

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
yeah

my 1.4 has one on, but its not been on long,
dont know what there on about with improved fuel consumption though, maby if you drive like a an old woman you might see some benefits.

no smoke at all !
obviously if you installed it not following instructions your car would run like arse
on map 4 standard power setting (what it came shipped on )

smooth strong power all the way through the rev range
im pleased with it, its a very sharp peice of kit, very professional presentation and production wise but it wants to be for how much it cost. these kits are actually dte units and dtuk are the uk distro for them (i read this somewhere on another forum)

Why would you drop economy?

Bower

all i can speak from is the limited experience with the box up to press.
my mpg seems to have redued, however the jumpers on my box arnt set up like anything in the manual, im going to phone them to ask what the other maps will do on the 1.4.
I understand the science behind the increased mpg but, how can i accuratly judge it if the dash gives a false reading.
its still early days ll wait till ive setled down with it to comment fully on mpg
overall im a very happy chap and the dtuk box comes well recomended from me

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
all i can speak from is the limited experience with the box up to press.
my mpg seems to have redued, however the jumpers on my box arnt set up like anything in the manual, im going to phone them to ask what the other maps will do on the 1.4.
I understand the science behind the increased mpg but, how can i accuratly judge it if the dash gives a false reading.
its still early days ll wait till ive setled down with it to comment fully on mpg
overall im a very happy chap and the dtuk box comes well recomended from me

Maybe you are just giving the right foot more of a workout with the new power?!

Work it our manually - maybe you are doing better than you think. I'm pretty sure my MPG has at least stayed the same. I reckon it's better on motorway runs.

javorb

mpg

if you have a good tuning unit and drive as you did before you should gain 2-5mpg ,even driving harder it should stay roughly as you got before

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.