Fitted a new steering wheel - one issue

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
So Basically I've recently fitted one of the newer my2016 onwards fine leather steering wheels to my 2014 fr.
All the buttons were working fine (or so I thought) until I tried scrolling with the right Toggle wheel - nothing happens even when you press it in to select.

So what could possibly wrong? The wheel is brand new, fitting is just one plug that you unclip on removal a refitting. Possible coding issue?

What are peoples thoughts?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I'd love to change mine, the early one is like ice on a cold morning!

Bet it wasn't cheap thou?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Managed to find the wheel for £200 In the end, so no not cheap but it was looking like double that when I started looking lol

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
ill guess you just need to code again LIN bus on unit as the software may be slightly different dont mind to have a look on it if you pop down my way :funk:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Managed to find the wheel for £200 In the end, so no not cheap but it was looking like double that when I started looking lol

Did you manage to get this working?

Do you know the part number for the MY2016 onwards steering wheel?

Did you have to buy the air bag too, or just swap that also?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Did you manage to get this working?

Do you know the part number for the MY2016 onwards steering wheel?

Did you have to buy the air bag too, or just swap that also?

The coding wasn't the issue. The controls might be faulty, I've lifted my old ones out from my old steering wheel and when I get time will swap them over. That should resolve the issue.

Part number for the steering wheel is 5f0419091r mhm. (Make sure it includes mhm as that is the difference).

Airbag is a separate unit altogether that is reused.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
The coding wasn't the issue. The controls might be faulty, I've lifted my old ones out from my old steering wheel and when I get time will swap them over. That should resolve the issue.

Part number for the steering wheel is 5f0419091r mhm. (Make sure it includes mhm as that is the difference).

Thanks for that. Fingers crossed!

Seen one on Ebay, advertised as leather FR wheel which it is, but stitching is plain black?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
There is one on eBay now for about £169 with a best offer. I reckon if you offered 150 you’d probs get it. Just search the part number.

Good spot, might be worth a punt. Found a brand new one from Germany for about £185 delivered too.

Hope fitting is easy, it's the brown trowsers moment when you reconnect in terms of air bag etc!

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015

Ah I bet this is for manual only, I need a DSG one. Can't see the parts where the paddles fit!

Looking on Ebay I THINK I would need
5F0 419 R MHN ...... just the last letter different!?

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
No luck finding a DSG one yet for me, I asked at Seat parts today while I was in.

Very helpful but he could only help if they had a reg or vin number of the car with the wheel I need. He also said Seat wouldn't be interested!

So a quick look around the car park....

A 2017 Leon manual FR came up with SE575519091HBEX which seems a bit different although it said 2015 onwards

Then a look online at a 2017 Leon DSG FR came up with 5F0419091SEXJ says 2017 onwards which sounds more like it!

What EXJ or previously the MHN mean...

Edit...

I think MHN means grey background on the FR badge and EXJ is gloss black!

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
So Basically I've recently fitted one of the newer my2016 onwards fine leather steering wheels to my 2014 fr.

Think I've found one, how easy was it to fit?
As case of one off, one on?
Of course battery disconnected and maybe waiting time!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.