fitting a aftermarket tachometer????

ibizasaremylife

May 19, 2009
kilkenny,ireland
hi guys,
i just bought a pilot series tachometer with shift light for my 2003 ibiza,went to get it fitted and the garage told me that my car is fitted with a cam or cam buster.....not sure wat that is first of all and they cant seem to fit the rev wire,is there away around this and can someone reply asap as im trying again tomorrow thank,oh by the way its getting fitted in a 1.2 12v engine,the 3 cylinder if anyone has a wiring diagram or anythin that would be great

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Tacho what? You have to have a tacho really?! Don't you have to have it calibrated by an authorised tacho centre like we do the trucks at work?

Wires crossed there AIMEZ thats a 'tachograph' that measures driving time and distance, this dudes on about a 'tachometer' more than likely a rev counter with a shift light, you would have to use a convertor which would allow the rev counter the read the can bus signal - best people to ask would me the manufacterers of the product you have bought, but why you'd need another rev counter and a shift light on a 1.2 is beyond me???:confused:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
taco_large.png

ibizasaremylife

May 19, 2009
kilkenny,ireland
Wires crossed there AIMEZ thats a 'tachograph' that measures driving time and distance, this dudes on about a 'tachometer' more than likely a rev counter with a shift light, you would have to use a convertor which would allow the rev counter the read the can bus signal - best people to ask would me the manufacterers of the product you have bought, but why you'd need another rev counter and a shift light on a 1.2 is beyond me???:confused:

jus a bit of fun man ha,ha where would i get said converter???? i tried,the lad where i bought it didnt have a clue what i was on about even,useless!!!! hmmmm i tried my local seat dealers and they said they would contact head office and see where can i go from there!!! the rev counters just for a bit of show to match the push start which i fitted:)

ibizasaremylife

May 19, 2009
kilkenny,ireland

hey man any ideas where i can get a converter???

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
the only people that could help you is the manufacterers mate - they must sell different variations of this particular product - or so i would have thought.

ibizasaremylife

May 19, 2009
kilkenny,ireland
yeah i dunno man,was on another vag site and they were saying some really scary stuff bout fitting them,think im jus gonna pull it out of the car to be honest,dont want to end up fooking up my ibiza,think ill jus get the white dials for the standard clocks instead and maybe put blue light behind them,ive already got my lcr splitter ordered and hopefully ill have that friday,thanks anyway for your help guys much appreciated

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The thing is with can bus - the system uses a system of control unit in order to communicate, the can bus system on the ibizas is relatively simple in comparison to others but this is still a problem if you want to fit a mod such as your tachometer.

Traditionally you would take the feed from the coil or speed sensor which picks up the amount of engine revolutions but on a can bus system if you used the speed sensor and tapped into the wire then you run the risk of causing circuit faults (short circuits mainly) which may cause mis-firing and ecu problems.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
positive

negative

illumination

coil signal

is your mk4 running on coil packs (seperate) or one ignition coil ?

and is it adjustable for cylinder numbers ? (i.e. 3!!)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.