fitting a headunit into mk4 Ibiza

Nabil_T

I realise this thread may have been covered before but I cannot find it on a search.. so..

I'm going to fit my Sony headunit into my Ibiza tomorrow morning because I can't be dealing with the crappy standard unit any longer, I was going to wait to get an Alpine unit but I would rather spend the money on other mods and make do with the unit I have already.. what i want to know is when I fit the unit is it as simple as it seems because I've heard about how when you change the unit the central locking messes up, what should I be weary of when fitting the unit and is there anything else I need besides the headunit, cage, aerial and ISO lead that came with the headunit?

any help will be much appreciated,

Nab

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I've had my stereo in for nearly 18 months and my central locking is fine :)

The only extra thing you might need is an aerial amplifier. The VAG units are amplified through the headunit, whereas aftermarket units are not. Basically, without one, your radio signal is **** and if you have an RDS clock it will not work.

Nabil_T

ok thanks.. just been out to try fitting the unit and I can't take the Alana unit out, it won't budge :(

Jay'sFR

Sep 18, 2004
Yorkshire
Took mine to the dealer who removed it free of charge. Got a pioneer in mine and have had no central locking mis haps.

Nabil_T

sorted it out now, the unit actually quite suits the car, I shall get some pics up but its only temporary, waiting for the full 2005 Alpine line up before I get a new hu :)

sportybiza

Did you have any problems regarding the depth of the replacement head unit? Just tried to fit my Kenwood into my Ibiza Sport and it's about 2cm longer than the Alana unit so sticks out!! Did you manage to remove the "Stop" at the rear or wasn't it necessary??

Grapo

Jul 28, 2004
London
It wont be longer than the Alana. Its most probably all the wires caught up behind it.

Take the holder out below then you can try and feed the wires either side as your pushing the unit in.

Have you got your cage in properly?

sportybiza

I know it shouldn't be any longer - I thought DIN was a standard size - but comparing the Alana to the Kenwood, it really is about 1cm longer. I will try removing the plastic shelf bit underneath and have another go.......

sportybiza

Is it easy to swap them over? Does anything major have to be done??

Grapo

Jul 28, 2004
London
Nope. Just pull hard on the bottom holder and it will come out. Then wack the cage in the bottom and put the holder in the top :)

Although there will be no support for the rubber thing to go in but it shouldnt matter.

BTW does any ones aftermarket cd player skip in their Ibiza?

Nabil_T

mine does skip sometimes but I know that it's because the headunit needs repairing, I'm not too bothered though because I'm changing it soon :)

loonymoon

Ok, I resurrected this post to ask a really dim question...sorry!!

I am hopefully getting a new HU soon. I have a mk4 Ibiza with standard ALANA HU. I read somewhere else in here that to get the Alana out there are two small slots underneath the '1' and 'scan' buttons that you need to put a thin tool in to release the unit. So that's ok "SEARCH" sorted that..

But my q is.. and this is probably really dim but what else do I need other than the HU. Someone mentioned a cage but do I have to buy one or should there be one that was supporting the ALANA unit?? Also is the radio really that awful without a booster as I'll probably have to think about adding this in at the same time. Is there anything else I need to buy to complete the installation?

gazjones

you will need that cage that the new headunit sits in but that will come with other head unit so thats not a prob as for booster it works fine for me or did till i cut my areal off to make it smaller

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Depends what radio reception is like by you and what station you listen to - in a low signal areas listening to a local station you'll probably really struggle without a booster, but with Radio 1 in a good area you'll probably be fine ;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.