fitting a headunit into mk4 Ibiza

loonymoon

i had to swap red n yellow wires too. Was a bit of a pain tryin to get the cables far enough out the way to slide it back tho! I didnt fancy takin my glovebox apart lol.. i swapped the position of the head unit too, its now in the lower slot. I dont have the rubber mat part for the spare din slot tho, it never came with my car so ive got the venting holes on the bottom now :rolleyes: nothings ever simple

Yeah the venting holes do end up at the bottom. I just picked up one of those non-slip dash mats and cut to fit. Doesn't look too bad and works well to stop stuff sliding out. Much better having the stereo in the lower slot. [B)]

Glad you managed to sort it Rich - :funk:

Last edited:

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
was gonna get a flip t.v screen with freeview and dvd player tochscrenn sat nav and loads more!! but decided against it as id hardley ever use it specially for 1500quid i think i got quoted :wtf: as long as the duck tape is hidden lol ;)
:p

i paid £475 for my headunit, built in DVD/mp3 player it can have any freeview box fitted just needs adapter, as for touch screen sat nav well i have a tom tom for that:)

squirt_1987

Yea i had 2 swap the din trays around, so my HU is on top now. about the red/yellow wires, i got a pioneer HU, and had the same prob with it, but swapped them and it worked fine, i'm still havin trouble getting my wires for amp/sub to fit sumwher simple, without having to unscrew the whole interior! lol any ideas?

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
could try unscrewing glove box and putting hand round back to wiggle cables has been coverd before if u need any more info

Unlight

Hi there,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but thought it was better than making a new one!

Basically, I bought a Kenwood CD player to replace the standard fit unit. How do I "change the yellow and red wires"?

Do I need to solder them out and back in again, or can these little cables be just popped out? Scared of breaking something!

Also, it seems like I need an Aeriel adaptor. The standard Ibiza one is a little stubby one, and the back of the Kenwood has a long deep slot for it to go into - it just doesnt fit! Any advice?

loonymoon

Hi there,

On my JVC head unit there was a plug connector which just had the red and yellow wires on, one of them didn't actually go anywhere. I just turned the connector round and plugged it in so that the red wire from the car met the yellow wire from the HU and vice-versa - easy peasy. I just forgot to disconnect the battery and got a rather large spark when I switched it round... OOPS, the HU was fine though.

As for the aerial, you can get adapters in Halfords for a couple of quid. we found one quite easily.

The only problem I have is that I think there's an aerial booster built into the old Alana HU, and the signals are much weaker now with the new HU, but you can usually find a decent station!!

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
just leave ya keys out the ignition and you will be fine without disconnecting the batt... you can pull the connectors out of the plastic just hold it as low as u can with long nose plyers... dont yours have bullet connectors in the wires then? yes its just a female to male arial adapter or the other way round... get one very cheap if u look... my signal is not to bad but i live in the middle of no were and my home radio's struggle to pick the signals up... so i dont expect my car one to fully work.. :)

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
Yea i had 2 swap the din trays around, so my HU is on top now. about the red/yellow wires, i got a pioneer HU, and had the same prob with it, but swapped them and it worked fine, i'm still havin trouble getting my wires for amp/sub to fit sumwher simple, without having to unscrew the whole interior! lol any ideas?

you shouldt have any probs gettin ur cables to the hu, i have 3 sets off rca outputs and one set input plus 10 gauge speaker wire going into the oem speaker block i didt use a screwdriver once :) all looks like its standard except the hu and whats in the boot... no wires seen :)

tequilan

mk4 ibiza FR pd 130
Sep 24, 2007
somerset
ressurecting this thread once again - i was just wondering if anybody has the steering wheel hu controls - i want a new hu but want to keep the wheel controls - is this possible? i used to have a pioneer hu in my last car and i think it had something for this, but cant remember.......

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
yeah its possible with adapters there is treads on here with the links to what u need to do it u need two different bits to manage it i have still have not put my adapters in as it stated to HU and my kenwood hu has numberous wires i could attach it to.. :( any1 know which i should put it to?

littleripa

My '54 Cupra came with a Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth for mobile calls etc. When I turn off the ignition the head unit stays on, even if I turn the HU off the Bluetooth standby light flashes, if I walk past the car later in the day my phone connects back to the car so it isn't turning totally off despite turning the HU off. Only way to turn it off is if I go into sub menus to disconnect from the phone manually or pull the front facia off. Bit of a pain in the ar$e.

So my question is... Does the Ibiza have an ACC position on the ignition that can turn the HU on and off? If so what colour is it so I can try and pick it up.

Cheers!

littleripa

One other related thing... Just been reading through other threads and realise I may have altered my central locking.

Whilst tinkering with HU wires the central locking triggered, now when I stop the engine and take out the key I have to double pull the door handle (only side effect I can tell). Is this normal, seem to remember it unlocked itself but I haven't had the car long enough to know really. Can it be reset easily?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
littleripa maybe try pulling the hu out and swop the red and yellow wires, permanant positive to switched positive, i had to do this on my kenwood hu... and yes you can reset the central locking to automaticly unlock when you pull the key out and i dont know why the hu effected the central locking... i hope this helps you out :)

littleripa

Cheers RR, swapping these wires is what seemed to trigger the locking and the HU would not turn on once swapped around. I wondered if the Cupra alarm thought I was trying to hotwire it or something??

So the Ibiza does have a switched feed and it will turn the HU on/off from the ignition key, will have to have another play around. Maybe ask a few friends for advice, often in these situations there is something blindingly obvious staring at you which you miss.

How do you reset the CL? I read you need the std HU in the car to do this (which I don't have).

Nosmo

Mine skips quite a lot. Its a new HU as well :(

Sup everyone. I just got a 2006 Seat Cupra 19tDi. I want to remove the HU, (ALANA) and install my Rockford from my previous vehicle. Could someone please explain in detail, how to remove the piec 'o crap thats in there at the moment.?

Grapo, reason why I quoted you in was, I have learnt that, with many HU's, if you mount it a the slightest wrong angle, it tends to skip quite allot. It happened with my Giga Panel in one Vehicle, then installed it for the guy I sold it to, and he didnt have one day's problem. This seemed weird, all that changed was the car, so yeah, maybe thats why!

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
anyone got one of these ?

seatibiza_1.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.