Fitting a subwoofer in a Leon Mk2

Davros

After fitting a pair of Infinity 652.7i speakers in the front doors (much better sound quality then the stock speakers…there are various threads on this), I found it needed (a bit) more bass, so decided to fit a FLI 12” active sub in the boot. It’s fairly compact, and being all-in-one it’s easy to take out when I need the boot space again. Its also cheap, and sounds amazingly good for the price. I’ve only had it set to about ½ gain with the bass boost on 0, and it’s more than loud enough!

Anyway, I spent pretty much a whole day, dawn til dusk fitting it (with not much to go on), and thought it might be helpful to share my method with you guys (and spare you the pain and frustration of having to work it out yourself). I wanted to cause as little damage (i.e. none) to the car as possible, and have everything completely reversible for when I come to sell it. I’m afraid, I forgot to take any photos while I was doing this, so I’ve tried to be as descriptive as possible!

Tools you’ll need (from what I can remember):
Screwdrivers – Flat Bladed, Phillips and Torx (star-shaped)
Scissors
Pliers
A lever for removing trim (I used a butter knife wrapped in insulation tape)
A couple of sockets (for disconnecting the battery)
Sandpaper (just a little bit)

I’d recommend getting an amplifier wiring kit, this should contain all the cable you need.

Removing the head unit

The head unit doesn’t use standard radio keys, and I’d imagine if the dealers would sell you them, they wouldn’t come cheap, so you can make your own.

Cut an old credit card lengthways into 2 x 1cm wide strips, and slot these into the two rectangular slots under the display, unclipping retaining clips.

Cut an old margarine tub lid (needs to be thin, but fairly stiff, I found this ideal) into 2 x 2.5cm wide strips. Cut the ends to a point (like and arrow), then round this off. These will slot into the thin gap between the h/u and the heater controls, about 5cm in from each side. If you get this right, you should be able to feed the strips in, and unclip some retaining clips.

Then get two credit cards, and use them as levers around the h/u panel to ease it out. This shouldn’t require much force if you’ve released all four clips.

Running the Power Cable into the cockpit

The power cable has to be run all the way from the +ve terminal of the battery to the amp. With much searching, I found a route from the engine compartment into the cockpit. You’ll need to remove the battery first. First remove the -ve terminal, then the +ve (this will prevent it sparking). To prevent the alarm going off when you disconnect the battery, ensure the car is unlocked, and the doors closed (you also won’t be able to unlock it once you’ve disconnected the battery!).

Next, unscrew the bolt on the left-hand side of the battery, which secures a retaining plate, then lift out the battery.

Behind the battery, you’ll see a black rubber thing with a large loom of wire going into it, looks a bit like a cow’s udder with a nipples poking out of it (I kid you not). With a pair of scissors, snip off one of the nipples, and feed in the power cable (not connected to the battery yet).

In the passenger side footwell, you’ll need to remove the panel below the glovebox (it has holes in it for heater jets) – these require a torx screwdriver bit). Then, if you look upwards, on the wall between the engine bay and footwell, you should see your power cable poking out. Pull this through leaving enough length to reach the battery terminals.

Getting a line-level signal

The factory h/u doesn’t have any preamp or subwoofer out connections, so you’ll need to tap the speaker leads. Many amps have a hi-level input, designed for speaker connections, but I opted to use a line level converter (from FLI) to convert the signal down from speaker level to a level acceptable for line inputs – supposedly this gives you better quality sound. This is a little box with 4 thin cables sticking out of one side and 2 rca inputs on the other – cost £7.50 on ebay.

You’ll need to remove the glove compartment next – there are 2 screws in the wall behind the flap, 2 near the front on each side, and another in the middle, and another 2 underneath the glovebox, where the cover was that you removed above. Behind the glovebox, on the right hand side, you should be able to find a little opening that leads to the back of the h/u. I fed the 4 cables from the line level converter through this opening (it was too small for the box itself). These 4 cables then need to be spliced into the speaker outputs from the h/u. I used some snap lock connectors from Maplin. Basically, you run the cable you are tapping through it along with the new leads, then clamp it up with pliers, for a (semi)-permanent connection. Connect the 4 wires to the RR+, RR-, RL+ and RL- connections (there’s a sticker on the top of the h/u to guide you) as per the instructions with your line level converter.

Connecting the remote cable

The remote cable connects to a switched 12V supply, which turns the amp on when power is applied, and off when not. The only one I could find on the h/u was the one for the CD changer (see the label on the h/u). I already had Dension ice>link installed for my iPod, so I tapped this wire (it was green) using a snap lock connector, you could do the same if you have a CD changer installed. If you have neither, you will somehow have to run a wire from the appropriate terminal.

Connecting the Ground cable

The ground cable needs to be connected to the chassis of the car. I used one of the cargo net loops on the side of the boot. Unscrew the 2 cargo loops on that side of the boot and pull up the carpet (it’s pretty stiff) on the side of the boot. There will be a metal bracket behind, where the cargo loop screws into. With some sandpaper, sand all the paint off the front of the bracket around the hole (you will need good metal-to-metal contact). Then screw the cargo loop bolt through the ground cable loop, into the bracket, and but the carpet back, with the wire sticking out from under it.

Running the cables to the boot

You must run the audio cables separately from the power and remote cables, to avoid interference. I ran the remote cable across the glovebox cavity to where the power cable comes out, then ran them together down the passenger side of the car, under the heel trims (plastic sills). These panels are all fixed with clips, and are a bugger to get off, and you are likely to break some of these metal clips as you go (so may have to get some more from a dealer!) With the panels removed, you can lay the cables underneath, they will come out beside the rear seat base. Remove the rear seat bases by pulling upwards at the front of the right and left sides, then push the base backwards and lift it out. Then you can route the cables to the boot, and tape them down under the seat.

2 rca cables (may be joined together) must be run from the line level converter to the amp. I ran mine down the middle of the car, a: because I couldn’t see a way to route them over to the driver’s side, and b: because removing the left sill panels really p*ssed me off. The panel at the front / passenger side of the centre console is fixed with metal clips again, so pull this off, and route the RCA cables behind it. I then just tucked the cable under the side of the centre consol, under the rear mat and up under the seat base. You may be able to run it under the carpet, but this will require (much) more trim removal!

You should now have a +ve power cable from the battery, a ground fixed to the chassis, a remote attached to the head-unit, and RCA cables from the line level converter. You can either connect these directly to the amp, or as I did, use a Vibe fastplug for the +ve, ground and remote cables, so that I can easily take the sub out for more boot space, without having to disconnect the battery etc. The three wires simply have to be cut, the insulation removed, and be screwed into the fastplug’s terminals.

Last things last

The very last thing you should do is connect the battery to the +ve power cable. The cable should have an in-line fuse (no higher rating than the one on your amp) no more than 18” from the battery terminal. I put the power cable terminal around the nut on the +ve terminal. Last of all put in your fuse, and cross your fingers! Oh yeah, and put your car back together!

The end result is fantastic, with the FLI reinforcing the Infinities perfectly, and music sounding exactly as I wanted it to, without having to change the head-unit.

If you’ve got any questions, let me know!

Reactions: Nick Nick

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Excellent write up :thumbup:

Add some pictures to the thread and it can be moved and saved to the "guides" section of this site :)

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
I have a guide for getting a wire from the battery into the footwell but never documented running the wire from the front the back.

http://uploads.simplyrc.com/amp_cable_guide.pdf

Davros: With the line level converter it sounds like you have left the speakers connected. I disabled the rear door speakers and found that this disabled my ability to fade. With the OEM headunit and an Autoleads LLC the bass being fed to the amp is far too much and the gain on the amp has to be at 0. Is your LLC gain adjustable?

Last edited:

Davros

leon1p - I so wish i'd seen your guide before I started :doh: ! i spent hours trying to find a route through the bulkhead, trying to thread through various holes with no luck, eventually found about the grommet behind the battery on a MkV Golf forum! Also, like the idea of connecting the power cable to the fusebox rather than the battery terminal, much tidier - might have to do a bit of fiddling this weekend!

Davros

I've left the rear speakers connected, and i haven't found the sound coming from the LLC too bassy, but i am only running a sub, so it doesn't need much clarity! My LLC is not adjustable, and the gain on the amp is at around half. Seems to work fine for me.

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
I think i'll do some tweaking as well based on your setup.. I have always been used to having 6x9's in the rear shelf but preferred the look of just two subs and the spacing didn't allow me to stealth other speakers underneath. I think if I reconnect the door speakers it might sound better. If I had plenty cash i'd ahve it sounding ace but really have to work with what I have. I think soundproofing is going to be a must though.

May 13, 2007
hi davros great how to do just fitting subs and amp in my leon 2 just wondered if you remember which wire is the cd switched live for remote cable as my radio label is quite worn thanks chris leoncp

Davros

I got the pinout from ELSAWIN (Seat workshop manuals - off eBay), but this may help you. I assume i used the +uB CDC - they were labelled differently on ELSAWIN. I'd check, but i've reformatted my PC since then and haven't installed it again.

546279105_c8570cd2db.jpg

If it doesn't work, give me a shout and i can pull my radio out and check, but i'm without my car for a couple of days

Sambo

This looks an awesome guide mate i've been looking for just the thing for ages, will look at getting the same amp as you.

Thanks

AN06DRW

Now You SEAT Now You Dont
Sep 19, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi the guide looks good pretty much what i did however i have a question? When i start the car up i'm getting 3 big punches from the sub "boooooom boooom boom" if you cath my drift does anyone have any thoughts to why it is doing this?

PintOfGuinness

QUOTE: "Connecting the remote cable

The remote cable connects to a switched 12V supply, which turns the amp on when power is applied, and off when not. The only one I could find on the h/u was the one for the CD changer (see the label on the h/u). I already had Dension ice>link installed for my iPod, so I tapped this wire (it was green) using a snap lock connector, you could do the same if you have a CD changer installed. If you have neither, you will somehow have to run a wire from the appropriate terminal."

I was going to attempt this excellent guide but before I do the above part has me stumped a little. Is this saying if I have no IPod or cd changer connector that I have to think of a way to connect the remote cable to the head unit. If so has anyone got any advice on what exactly you could do? ta

G4R3TH

I haven't got a CD Changer or Ice>Link and have been stumped for a few days now on where to get a feed for the remote wire. Just found the 12v cigarette lighter seems to be suitable.

Can anyone see any reason why this won't work. I don't fancy taking apart the centre console to connect the remote to find it don't / won't work.

EDIT: All done and connected, remote feed from cigarette lighter works a treat.

Cheers
Gareth

Last edited by a moderator:

matthewbentham

Cupra averaged 41mpg once
this is how i've wired my sub in

power lead from battery threaded into a gap at top right of engine and behind front wing

then put cable through a grommet just below door hinge and into car. simple

sorry for poor picture quality. only a 2MP camera phone

Last edited:

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
After having my car in to get the Tyre pressure monitor tested I was told my rear speakers showed up as a fault in the diagnostics.

I think because I have snipped the rear speakers and added a line out converter (and with the radio being can-bus) it triggers a fault. When they hooked the car up to diagnostics the speakers went mental and the garage guy had a laugh telling me he thought someone was locked in the boot :D

So if your car goes for a service or work take out your fuses for the amp etc

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Owen with that you basically tap into the rear speaker outputs (i chopped mine) and this then gives you pre-outs for your amp.

Your amp may also support high level inputs (direct connection of your speaker outputs to the amp without RCA cable/leads) in which case you could do it without the line level convertor.

An alternative one is what I have.. Ebay Link "pc1-601"

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
hello guys i was wondering i was going to fit an aftermarket headunit in, and was wondering, will there be any way to keep the stearing controll working? and also by fitting this will it effect the bluetooth feature?