Fitting a Towbar to Cupra R

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Wheres theres a will theres a way
You'd have to cut the rear bumper but its got to be a case of just welding/bolting it to the subframe somewhere

jaybo

yep i know the manual says its a no no but i cant see what harm it will do if other 1.8 20v are able to tow stuff. a jetski isnt exactly the heavist thing in the world.

I understand i would have to cut the bumper but it would be worth it.

Blelock

Aug 5, 2007
Mine had a towbar on it before I got it. Dont know what make the towbar was sorry. Yes you have to cut a hole in the bumper. I had to fix the hole when I bought the car.

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
One problem you may have is the R is not type approved for towing, so the legalities may put of some places and iirc thats why no one seems to make a bar for it!! Sorry but at least you wanna use a jetski, I would hate to see an R towing a caravan!!

AMR_RM

Hi Guys

I am a bit of a newbie on here but was wandering if it is possible to fit a Towbar to a 04 Laon Cupra R as i need one to tow my Jet Ski

I found this one for the cupra but would it fit a Cupra R

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/1/1/1914-gdw-detach-towbar-seat-leon-cupra-fr-topsport-00-05-st9143.html

Many Thanks

Mark

Hi
I have a 04 LCR with a Brink detachable towbar on it
Had it fitted when i first got the car in 04 and i have had no problems with it.

I had it fitted by Towequipe at their premises and they did a real good job.
The only real issue i had was that they had to cut the rear bumper, looks like it had a post box in but i asked them to keep the plastic they cut out and i made myself a cover to put in so it doesn't look like there is anything there now.

With regards to towing, it tows reall well, i did have an open motocross trailer and it was like nothing was behind, but upgraded to a box trailer and it still tows ok but sometimes a little thursty. average abour 25mpg with the trailer on so not too bad.

If you really want one then ring Towequipe direct and as they are really helpful.

jaybo

Thanks for your help guys i will give them a ring and see what they say. i will ring my insurance company and see what they say also.

i cant see it being a problem as other leons are able to tow stuff.

It will only ever be going about 5 minutes down to the beach anyway.

Cheers

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I can't see the insurance company liking it - if the car's not approved for towing then it's not meant to tow - SEAT would have made that decision for a reason.

jaybo

might just buy a cheap 4x4 with a tow bar allready fitted than i can just burn straight down the beach. its just finding somewhere to keep a 4x4 when their a jetski parked in my garage

But then again i would have to insure the 4x4 which could be pricey.

Insurance isnt to good for me when owing a leon cupra r at 19

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.