Fitting an LCR/TT/S3 pump to Ibiza 1.8T

Right there are many threads on this but there is nothing set on stone how to do this properly keeping the fuel gauge reading correctly (at least in the same thread anyway), so I thought I would write one for you all.

Now first thing you need to do is get your hands on an LCR/TT/S3 fuel pump. It is easier to get an LCR as if you get a TT/S3 you will have to block off the extra feed for the Quattro system.

Technically they are a straight fit, but to keep the fuel gauge reading correctly you need to swap the float from the standard fuel pump onto your new 4bar fuel pump.

Before you do this you may want to make sure you don't have over a half a tank of fuel, this is not necessary but it means it's easier at keeping it a clean job.

So what you need to do in order (move to step 6-8 if you can get the pump out and want to know how to change the floats):

1. Remove the lower half of the rear seats to gain access to the fuel pump. This is done by removing the 2 5mm allen key bolts. You don't have to remove it but good luck to you if you dont!

2. Now that that's out of the way, remove the cover for the fuel pump compartment (under the flappy bit of carpet) by removing the 3 star head screws.

3. Now you will need to disconnect all the the fuel lines and the electrical connector (you might want to keep a cloth handy as some fuel will come out of these). This is done by squeezing the connectors (you will see what I mean).

4. Try and get all of the hoses tucked out of the way as you will now need to remove the large plastic ring holding the fuel pump in place. I use a screwdriver and hit it round as it is fiddly to get your hand in and around without causing yourself serious pain!

5. Now once you get this off the pump will lift out of place. Be careful when removing the final bit of the pump as the float might get caught, and you don't want to bend/break it. Also be careful not to spill the fuel that will still be inside the pump.

6. Now it's time to change the floats. On the back of the pump you will see 4 torx screws and a circuit board. What you need to do is disconnect the 2 wires that go to this circuit board (clips hold the connectors in place, these will need to be depressed with a small pointed object).

7. Now you will need to lift up the flaps at the top of the square shaped plastic piece the circuit board and float are attached to. You will need a small flat headed screw driver or something similar to do this. Then the piece will slide downwards and come away from the pump. This is all you need off the old pump.

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

8. Now do the same on your new 4 bar pump and then replace with your old Ibiza float.

Now to get the pump back into the tank can be a PITA but with time and patience you will get there. What I found if you mark where the plastic rings thread starts and where the thread starts on the tank it makes the process easier.

9. Place the fuel pump into the tank making sure that float does not get caught on anything. You want to make sure that the arrows on the pump are facing the arrows on the car, otherwise (as I found out) the car won't start!), Also make sure the pump is fully seated and that the seal is in the hole properly as you won't be able to go onto the next stage if not.

10. Now time for the fiddly bit! Getting the ring on. You want to try and hold down the pump at the same time as spinning on the ring. Another set of hands sometimes helps if you can coordinate who goes where! But if you had marked the 2 threads you know where the 2 threads start so it helps you out. It will take you a few goes as you will find when you get a half turn of the thread back on it just pops off again. You will need to push down on the pump again and really make sure it's in there.

11. Once you get this back on all you need to do is connect up the right hoses/wire to the right places. I would suggest trying to start the car before putting the cover and seat back on, if it doesn't start you may have the pump in the wrong position or the hoses wrong. While starting hold the ignition until you here the fuel pump starting for a little longer just to make sure there is enough fuel circulating through the system.

12. After you are satisfied everything is ok you can put everything back on and enjoy the smell of petrol in your car for a few days!!

I will try and get pictures of some of the steps as I know that changing the floats over was a bit of a mystery to me for a while until I actually got the pump out again and had a proper look at it.

Hope this helps and thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Bazzle

Aug 28, 2008
Question,
I took the actual pump itself out of the plastic housing and fitted it to my old fuel pump housing complete with o-rings ect and fitted my old float. Housing pipes looked the same size so just figured it was the pump that was different and the float. Its working but the guage is still wrong.. and do i need the housing to the LCR fuel pump to make it a 4 bar pump ???

Last edited:
Question,
I took the actual pump itself out of the plastic housing and fitted it to my old fuel pump housing complete with o-rings ect and fitted my old float. Housing pipes looked the same size so just figured it was the pump that was different and the float. Its working but the guage is still wrong.. and do i need the housing to the LCR fuel pump to make it a 4 bar pump ???

You need that bit I show in my post. The actual float nothing else.

Alps Pacino

Oct 30, 2008
Middlesbrough
how much do these sell for then, i have a s3 pump already installed in the unit ready to plug and play but i no longer require it as i have a pro alloy cell and aeromotive pump now

Bazzle

Aug 28, 2008
My guage is still wrong, ran pout of petrol the other week, said i had 20 miles left to go!!!!

Bazzle

Aug 28, 2008
Took it back out and played about with it tonight, float sits below the bottom of the pump when its in the empty position and out the tank, used to get 20 miles after my computer told me i had zero. and the light came on at 20 or 30 miles to go, now it comes on at 50 and i dunno weather to believe it this time or not lol
Suppose there is only one way to find out and carry a can of petrol with me :D
Doesnt look like the floats bent and i used my old ibiza float and circuit board for the fuel sender.... hmmm!!

Wounder if its cuz i did things differently, i actually split the pump out of its housing and put it into my ibiza one, keeping everythin the same apart from the pump. thought that should work :S

daves ibiza

Sorry for bringing up such old thread guys, Im guna be puting full bam setup on car in 2 weeks or so and i have s3 fuel pump intank one and ive taken the top off my original pump and put it on s3 pump to keep oem fittings in place with no kinks ect is this ok todo thi as it would be to late now:(. I persume it would be there same . Any shed some light please;).

So its the top of the pump wich sits on a spring of the standard one on s3 housing pump.

Also would i need 3bar or 4 bar fpr when i get it mapped. done via revo or badger 5.

Sorry for bringing up such old thread guys, Im guna be puting full bam setup on car in 2 weeks or so and i have s3 fuel pump intank one and ive taken the top off my original pump and put it on s3 pump to keep oem fittings in place with no kinks ect is this ok todo thi as it would be to late now:(. I persume it would be there same . Any shed some light please;).

So its the top of the pump wich sits on a spring of the standard one on s3 housing pump.

Also would i need 3bar or 4 bar fpr when i get it mapped. done via revo or badger 5.

I think this will be fine yeah. I was going to do this but I couldn't get those bleedin hoses off! So found the way I did it which is alot easier.

Your going big turbo are you not? Will need a 4 bar then bud... Thought you would have known that though!? :confused:
Revo maps use a 4 bar FPR for stage 2 maps anyway. I don't think bill would use one for one of his custom stage 2 maps.

daves ibiza

i new that mate but was a little unsure as ive never run with revo, only badgers map wich he mapped with 3bar thats why i asked . i have a 4 bar in shed anyway so;). yeah mate got full turbo kit just waiting to put it on lol. should see some nice figures:D

daves ibiza

also just got my hands on a copy of etka so all new bolts will be orderd soon;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise