Fitting Coilovers - Leon Cupra

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
yeah it does thats what i dont understand i got the drop links in the box so have asked them and they say i need them but i dont know how i am supposed to mount them cos they cant replace the OE ones :shrug:

Last edited:

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
Hi DJP, Nice thread with lots of useful tips :thumbup: thanks.

I recently bought a KW V3 kit and will be installing that using solid aluminium top mounts on my LCR.
Could any one please help with some information on what rebound and damping settings would be appropriate. My Cars stripped out at the back and to some degree lightened at the front.
Its main purpose is track days and will occasionally be used in town. I would really appreciate any useful settings and tips, thanks.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Indy, I have the same set up as you with a stripped out car.
I used the KW recommended settings for a start. These have proved fine so far but rigerous testing will be done this year.
Let me know if your struggling to find the KW recommended settings

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
Thanks Willie, I've been waiting for some good weather to change my suspension and it seems so far its going to be a warm weekend (fingers crossed).
If your using factory settings and it works than I'll give it a go and see if that works for me.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Thanks Willie, I've been waiting for some good weather to change my suspension and it seems so far its going to be a warm weekend (fingers crossed).
If your using factory settings and it works than I'll give it a go and see if that works for me.
If nothing else it's a good starting place.
With the car lowered 25mm its proving impossible to unsettle it just now.
Do you still have your LC wishbones and hubs or have you changed these out?

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
If nothing else it's a good starting place.
With the car lowered 25mm its proving impossible to unsettle it just now.
Do you still have your LC wishbones and hubs or have you changed these out?

When we put together the engine I changed the LC Wishbones to VW racing wishbones but am still using the standard hubs. Any advise on Hubs??

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well the position of the ball joint fixing is about 1" or so higher than the one on the TT/LCR hubs.
This allows you to have more drop without effecting the wish bone angle.
Not too sure how this would effect yours as I'm not aquainted with the VW racing wish bones

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
That’s true and I've notice that, cars currently dropped pretty low (more than 25mm) and also running negative 1.5 camber on the front but despite that I get understeer.... Currently running FK Silverline suspension and I'm hoping with this change I will be able to play with the setup and get it right.

P.S also got the vibra-technics mounts and fluidampr now....

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks for making this guide Dave, very useful for the top mounts especially. It looks really hard to guage the correct height for both the front and rear straight away, is there a trick to getting it nice and level from the start? If not, is adjusting the height as simple as jacking it up and tightening the nuts with a C-spanner?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Jamjay, on mine dropped 25mm I can jack the car up and adjust these by hand.

What I did was set the same height all around, went for a quick drive around my neighbourhood measured and re adjusted.

Mine adjust the height 1mm per turn of the adjuster.

Also remember as the OEM ride height is set at 7mm higher baised to the drivers side you will end up with different amounts of adjustments on either side.
Also account for you driving with your adjustments.

All I did was measure from the centre of the hub/alloy to the inner wheel arch (on level ground) all the way around and decided I wanted 20mm drop and went for this.

Ended up with 25mm with me in the car and stuck with that.

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks Willie. How easy is it to adjust the height, a quick 10min job? If I fit the coilovers how they were sent from the factory, I am sure it'll all be wrong with either the back or front too low and requiring adjustment.

I'll be going for the Weitec fixed damping kit based on an outing in a forum members car a few weeks back, I felt that the damping of the shocks was just right. So that's one less issue to deal with however, it's the back adjustment that really confuses me as it's not connected to the shock absorber like it is on the front. My old car had independant rear suspension so it was quite easy to match the rear to the front.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The back height is adjusted being an adjustable spring seat. Up for more ride height, down for less ride height.
Yup, quick and easy job with the car jacked up.
Clean the wire brush the adjusters, adjust down first, quick clean and wire brush then go for what height you want

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.