Fitting skirts-Rough guide.

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
I bought some Cupra skirts and fitted them to a standard Leon 1.6, so i thought i would just let you all know how i did it, and where i put my fixings..

Parts Needed..
Picture1.jpg

The only Parts i ordered when I did it were Numbers 1x14 and 5x6 from that diagram above.. (for both sides)

Part numbers
1- 1M0853910B x14
5- 1M0853139B x6

Coming to a total of £24.32 inc VAT

You'll also need some Pop Rivets- I used 4.8 x 14 mm which you can get from screw fix easily. I had some lying around in the garage already

Then it came to fitting them.. and i had no idea atall where to put any of the fixings. So First of all i just stook them on with some sticky back tape to get a rough guide. But now i've made this guide, hopefully you wont need to do that.

The diagram Below shows measurements i used.

1. Measure 850mm from the rear of the front arch, and put a mark where it is(white board pen,MAKE SURE ITS NOT PERMANENT!) This mark is very important as all future measurements will be made from this point.
2. Carry out all the measurements That are on the diagram. Be as accurate as you can.

Skirtsdiagram2.png

3. Below you should see a picture of the clips, and note there has been 2 flaps removed that covered the holes. These need to be removed so the rivets can be put through.

DSC07295.jpg

4. Next step is to line the clips up(number 1 clip). All the marks you've made should line up with the centers of each clip. It might be easier just to but a bit of sticky back tape on the clips whilst you line them up.

5. The picture Below shows one of the clips mounted. There is a line that runs along the sill of the car(pointed at by the black line). Also there's a lip on the clip that is pointed at by a red line, This lip should be approx 3-4 mm below the line marked by the black line.

Skirtedit.png

6. Next, get your marker back out, and mark where the holes should be drilled in relation to the holes in the clips.

7. Drill the holes! If your using the same size rivets as i did(4.8x14mm) then you'll need a 5mm drill bit :) Drill untill your all the way through the metal.

8. Before i riveted the clips in place, I put a bit of wax oil around and inside the hole and on the part of the rivet that goes through the hole, Just to prevent and rusting.

9. Next rivet the clips on! Make sure the clips are the right way up and any crap like that :D

10. Repeat all these steps untill all 7 clips have been fitted to the side your working on. Then your skirts are almost ready :)

It should look like this.. However in my picture there not riveted on as i took the picture when i was getting the clips in the correct position, hence the black tape sticking them down.

DSC07291.jpg

11. You will see there is 2 holes at each end of the skirts, i just got a self tapping screw and put it into the hole that was already designated for the front mud flap, and just made a new hole at the back. Simple Job.

I havent fitted the bottom 3 clips yet, and dont really see any great need to, as the skirts are very solid as they are, but i will fit them once all this snow f*cks off and let you know how i get on. I hope you find this guide useful :) Any questions please ask :D

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
When you come to buy the bits Buy 6, No 16's as per the parts photo in post one, and dont bother with the no 5, the No16 is the clamping part so no drilling is required under the car.

Side Skirts, Parts needed and numbers.

1MO 853 853 D GRU Left Side Skirt Primed
1M0 853 854 D GRU Right Side Skirt Primed
1M0 854 927 B GRU Insert Cover Primed
1M0 854 928 B GRU Insert Cover Primed
1M0 853 917 B GRU Insert Cover Primed
1M0 853 918 B GRU Insert Cover Primed
1M0 853 994 Clip x4
1M0 853 910 B Locking Clip x14
~ 1M0 853 139 Expanding Nut x2 * 1M0 853 139B Retaining Clip x 6
* N 904 553 01 Hex Nut Shouldered x6
# N 015 439 1 Speed Nut x14
# N 907 750 01 Torx Screw x 18

# These are a stupid price from Seat. Best check with a motor shop to get them much cheaper.

* In my experience don't bother getting these parts.

~ In my experience get an extra 6 of these to replace * above.

Last edited:

Ryan_98

Leon Mk1 enthusiast
May 24, 2016
Hello, I am going to be fitting a Cupra body kit to my Leon however there are 2 plastic brackets to fix them on i am able to find the top brackets, but i cannot find anywhere that sell the bottom clips that clip to the sill lip, does anyone know where i can buy them from?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.