Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Fitting strut brace to MK3 Leon - without removing scuttle tray

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Lozzy15, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Full Member

Hi Guys & Gals,
    Today I fitted a strut brace to my Leon. It was real easy to do and took around 15 - 20 minutes. You don't need major mechanical skills to do this, just some tools.
    The tools I used were:
    13mm sockets, 3/8 ratchet, 1/4 inch ratchet, a 1/4 inch driver and a 13mm spanner.
    Torque figures are 15nm + 90°
    [​IMG]

Firstly removed these 3 clips circled in red. They just pop off easily with your fingers or a screwdriver:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then removed the rubber seal going across the top of where the clips were, it just pulls off.
    Next, lift up the edge of the scuttle tray and undo and remove all 6 13mm bolts from either side of the struts (3 per side).
    Now, simply slot the strut brace into the inside of the scuttle area by lifting up the tray. Do one side and then the other:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, line up the brace with the bolt holes on either side, and insert one bolt in either side loosely. Then insert the other 2 bolts on each side and again loosely tighten them up. Once all bolts are in and the brace is positioned correctly, you can start to tighten up the bolts on either side. This part can be tricky, but the plastic scuttle tray lifts up quite abit without being broken, so don't be afraid to give yourself some space to work with:
    [​IMG]

Now you need to tighten all the bolts up fully. I found the easiest way was to use the 1/4 inch driver placed through the holes in the scuttle tray and attach the socket on the other sides. This enables you to easily use a ratchet to tighten the rear bolts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If however you don't own a small enough driver such as the one I used, you can still tighten up the bolts with a normal 1/4inch/3/8 ratchet, it's just abit harder to do:
    [​IMG]

Once all bolts are fully tightened/torqued (Torque figure 15nm + 90°) simply replace the 3 clips removed from before, and replace the rubber seal.

Job well done!

#1 Lozzy15, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    cuprak04 likes this.
  2. cuprak04

cuprak04 Stage 3 Mk3 Cupra 280

Thanks for the detailed right up Laurie and I appreciate the time with my braces.

If anyone is interested the page is strutbraceuk on Facebook

Or email me at strutbraceuk@gmail.com

Lozzy15 likes this.
  3. theoldboy

theoldboy Modified is best
    Staff Member

Lozzy15 likes this.
  4. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Full Member

I've added the torque figure into the guide. In regards to them being stretch bolts i.e one time use bolts, they did look like stretch bolts. That being said I have reused stretch bolts in the past with no issues. I've seen other people reusing them over the years too without problems. But of course, as the name suggests, when they are first tightened they stretch and therefore, in theory, shouldn't be used again. It's upto you whether to take the risk of reusing or get some more. I would imagine new ones from TPS or the dealers wouldn't cost much. I have purchased new stretch bolts in the past for things like engine mounts and they were usually a couple of £'s each. Hope that helps.

#4 Lozzy15, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    theoldboy likes this.
  5. viperjack

viperjack Full Member

Cheers for the guide , got mine in the same batch and fitted with help from your guide .

I find out If remove the corner clip on the scuttle tray it gives you even more room for ratchets without risk of damaging the tray.

Attached Files:

6. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Full Member

Nice find, didn't even notice those were there!