Flashing Battery Light

leonbfd

Apr 25, 2016
Hi, I have a a leon mk2 06 plate. Last year or so my odometer stopped working after some load was placed on the alternator. I managed to get this working by checking the connections behind it and a little gentle fist persuasion, but since then it always shows a flashing battery light. I've also changed the odometer and had it coded in case it was at fault but this hasn't worked. The needles don't go down once the key has been removed from the ignition and on each restart the meter resets. I have changed the alternator and battery for new ones and have a voltmeter installed the car which is around 13.5 to 14 depending on the temperature. The battery charges and the car starts fine each time but the light is just giving me issues. I have been reading around and have found some posts detailing the midi fuses on the front. Could anyone shed any light on the matter and whether it could be that fuse as i cleaned up all the ground connections and plugs when i had my car apart.

Thanks in advance.

Could i safely bypass the fuse with a wire and see if this turns the light off before i purchase a new fuse

Last edited:

leonbfd

Apr 25, 2016
did you get this fixed as i am having a similar issue?

Yeah i sorted it myself, it was due to one of the pins on the meter plug that carries the constant 12v feed not working or providing power to the meter. I took the plug apart and found the pin responsible for giving the 12v feed and soldered in a new wire that i fused to a constant 12v source. As soon as a i plugged it back in, the needles reset correctly and it started tracking by mileage and saving the trip information. The light also stopped flashing and my alarm started working again. Checked it with vagcom again and it showed 13.4 volts which was the same as what the voltmeter ive got fitted in my car showed.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Prentice92

leonbfd

Apr 25, 2016
take the meter out, its the plug that goes into that, you slide the plug out of its bracket thing and then you can start to remove the outer plastic casing till your left with the plug and the wires exposed. I can't remember the colour of the wire but i used this i took from another site for the mk 5 golf cluster pin out to find it. It's one of the first thicker wires on the left side of the plug.

1 - ignition / 12V
2 - battery / 12V - this was the cause of my issues
19 - ground
12 - CAN Low Kombi
13 - CAN High Kombi

I just fed through a new wire as i couldn't be bothered to find the breakage in the loom and fitted an inline fuse to it.

Good work, sounds very similar to my problem.
Where is that plug located?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danpalmer

Dec 31, 2015
cardiff
Ok i will pass this onto the guy who will be looking into it for me.

My issue sound the same as yours.

clock & odometer reset upon turning ignition off.
needs stick when ignition is turned off.
battery light flashing intermittently.

thanks for the info

Prentice92

Nov 11, 2018
Yeah i sorted it myself, it was due to one of the pins on the meter plug that carries the constant 12v feed not working or providing power to the meter. I took the plug apart and found the pin responsible for giving the 12v feed and soldered in a new wire that i fused to a constant 12v source. As soon as a i plugged it back in, the needles reset correctly and it started tracking by mileage and saving the trip information. The light also stopped flashing and my alarm started working again. Checked it with vagcom again and it showed 13.4 volts which was the same as what the voltmeter ive got fitted in my car showed.

Hope this helps.
Weres the meter plug located

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.