Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Fmic help !

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by Bendubiard_, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Bendubiard_

Bendubiard_ Active Member

Hi guys, been looking into getting a fmic for my leon cupra whilst i got this time off for the lockdown and ive been looking at a few universal kits on ebay but they all seem to have the dodgy looking pipes coming out the sides of the intercooler that just look gross when fitted cause you lose your grills and fogs, anyone know what pipes/bends to order which would mean i dont have to lose my fogs ? Got a pre facelift front bumper as well
    Cheers

2. Gokiwi64

Gokiwi64 Geriatric Member

3. Bendubiard_

Sorry bro im looking for one for a auq cupra, cheers though

4. Mark Bateman

Any luck finding one as I'm after one to

5. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Look for one that fits the octavia vrs as it has the same auq lump and ko3s as the cupra

back in the day i ran a THS FMIC although i cannot for the life of me find in in todays marketplace

6. Mark Bateman

Is the mk4 golf gti the same setup as the 180bhp cupra

7. Bendubiard_

Cheers mate so if i find the pipe kit for a octavia vrs then i wont have to lose the fogs and have uneven pipes either side on show ?

8. Bendubiard_

All i found was if the pipes look neat and hidden then theyre usually custom made

9. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Yes the 150 golf has the ko3 and the 180 has the ko3’s

pipework runs same direction and inlet manifolds all on the left when looking into the engine bay

10. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Pass no idea

i fitted a golf mk4 gti auq fmic to my octavia vrs

i have no experience of fitting one to a leon, guess just depends how much room is behind the leon bumper.

anything can be made to fit thats for certain if you got one that suited a golf mk4 or octavia vrs it would give you a good starting point.

11. Mark Bateman

Thanks for the help

12. Connor H

Connor H Active Member

I have also been looking quite heavily into Toyo set ups etc recently. I believe Forge FMIC is twinpass for AUQ rather than single pass. Airtec im not sure about but they're so very expensive that i have just researched universal set ups so far.

Regarding size, as that is what seems to be missing from pretty much every single thread ive researched, I found this useful piece of information:

"The size of the core you need depends on the application. For smaller turbos such as the k03s we don’t want too big of a core as you lose the low down punchiness that the small turbos are renowned for. It has been found that the Toyosports 550x225x63mm matches perfectly to the smaller sub 300bhp turbos flow and gives sufficient cooling of the charge air."
    (source: https://18t-tuning.co.uk/intercoolers/)

Sadly this particular size of cooler is out of stock, and ive yet to recieve a reply from toyosports about restocking.

Points to note (im looking for information so please correct me where im wrong):

• Its to my understanding that for the AUQ we need 64mm/2.5" pipework.
    • Some people have said that going for a tall cooler is pointless as its blocked by the bumper, which makes sense to have one take up below the crash bar rather sitting than behind it, but is that a sacrifice in performance just to avoid cutting the crash bar?

What i'd like to know is, what size is effective vs the biggest/smallest I can go without losing fogs and cutting the crash bar to sh*t? Is there any point in the ko3s models having one a FMIC take up that much space? So many questions lol.

13. Connor H

Connor H Active Member

Gokiwi, does it save the fogs because the core is taller and not as wide? Or is it due the pipework?

Sadly doesnt give us the core size in the listing description

14. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

For ease of use on the stock turbo why not just do the arch mod and use an uprated side mount intercooler, more than enough for a ko3s