Fog lights come on when dipped beam is on after brake light switch replacement

slickbone

Apr 4, 2010
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I had to replace the brake light switch and in doing so I had to remove the lower dash cover. I have a Seat Leon 130 TDI 2003 model.

When I put the lower dash cover back on and screwed it all in place, I found that when I turn on my dipped beam lights or my side lights, my fog lights also come on. The fog lights should only come on when I pull the ‘dash light knob’ out by one ‘notch’.

I found that if I pushed in the ‘dash light knob’ the fog lights would turn off and when I let go, the fog lights come back on.

So I removed the lower dash again. If I push the lights harness and the ‘dash light knob’ in towards each other, the fog lights are off but as soon as I let go they come back on.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to correct this? I know it’s a dodgy connection issue but I can’t figure out how to solve this….

I cant seem to upload attachments and I dont know a free hosting image host I can use.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I had the same thing after taking the panel out the houses the light switch to get to my brake pedal switch. I took the panel out again, removed the switch, removed the connector, compressed the switch as the back part had come away slightly (I felt it click back in), cleaned up the connectors (scraped them with a flathead screw driver) Reconnected the switch and tested before putting the panel back and it all worked fine and has done since.

Last edited:

slickbone

Apr 4, 2010
sockpuppet,

Thank you very much for your reply! Much appreciated.

The connectors you cleaned, are you referring to the long 'fingernail' connectors on the back of the light switch or the 'female' connectors on the wiring loom?

Cheers!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.